Clicky

Michael
I haven't used HoudahGeo for some time, although I kept regularly updating it. Anyway, I've been trying to tag files today. I've found a few things have changed a little since I last used it, but what I've totally lost is how to pinpoint where I want to tag using the Google Maps feature. (I'm referring to what's currently called "Geocode Selection Using a Map...".)

Every time I start that function it either opens to a totally blank grey screen or, for some unknown reason, to the west coast of Africa. Either way there's no red arrow to drag and drop. I can slowly navigate where I want to go, by using the controls, but without a marker to move I've no way to "mark the spot", so as to tell the program what values to write to the EXIF data.

Along the top of the map window it says "Drag the marker below to the desired location". But there's no marker, and I'm baffled.

This is version 1.4.9 (1510). The function has worked fine for me on earlier versions of the software, but it's not doing so currently with this one.

I've been going to Google Maps in my browser and using Google's "Link to this page" function to get the latitude and longitude, afterwards entering them by hand in HoudahGeo's main window. But it's a fairly long-winded process.

What's the reason I'm not seeing the marker?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

The "Geocode using map feature" displays a map with elements hosted on both houdah.com and google.com. Maybe you witnessed a temporary disruption of either service.

Actually this feature has been mostly superseded by the "Geocode using Google Earth" feature which I am sure you will find much more convenient.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Michael
Thanks for the reply, Pierre.

[quote]Maybe you witnessed a temporary disruption of either service.[/quote]

Let's hope so. That would be good. But I've just tried again - this is some hours later - and there's still no sign of the marker. I'll try again every now and then over the next few days and see whether anything changes.

[quote]Actually this feature has been mostly superseded by the "Geocode using Google Earth" feature which I am sure you will find much more convenient.[/quote]

Oh, that is unfortunate. If it's an outage and even it takes days that's bearable; if the problem is permanent, that's a nuisance. I don't really want to install Google Earth just to be able to geo-tag. I've got a program weighing in at 19.8 MB for geo-tagging, and now it sounds like I'm going to need *another* program - weighing in at over 33 MB before it's even expanded on disk by the looks:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28838

- before I can use the first program.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You may safely exclude a temporary service disruption. The map interface works fine here.

Are you running a tool like LittleSnitch which may prevent network access?

Can you send me a screenshot?
Could you please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for error messages?

All I wanted to say about the integration with Google Earth is that I find it faster to work with that than with the Google Maps interface. If you prefer the map interface, you may go on using it.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0