Clicky

sbstrum
I have extolled HS to all members of our Mac users group and to all my colleagues around the world. Definitely this is a terrific app. Maybe I am missing something but it is hard for me to believe that i cannot do a search on a specific filename. IOW, if I were to search a Word document for the word Lin I could select the option to "find whole words only". In HS, if I select filename or name and type in Lin i get all kinds of files that are not desired such as: clinical, collins, gamelin, delinsky, demyelination, pregabalin, etc.

Maybe this is in HS and I have missed it but I have spent hours for a way to obtain exact words or phrases that are in the filename--but without success. Any help with this or an update to solve this would empower the use of HS further. Thanks.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I actually tried to add this feature in HoudahSpot 2.3.1 and failed miserably. The Spotlight engine would not honor the request to search for whole words only.

I'll give it another try further down the road.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
mf
You can limit your search to whole words by typing a space before and after the word, ie you would search for " Lin ".

In case the word comes at the end of a sentence, you may need to also use a second search field in which you enter a period after the word eg " Lin." and then search for "any of the following are true".
0 0
sbstrum
I was not successful in trying what you have suggested. What specifically are you using in the search fields after "All of the following are true:" Are you using Text content contains words or what specifically. Note that I am using OS 10.5.5 Leopard and the latest update of HS.
0 0
mf
To search file names for files whose name contains the word "Lin" but not "line", "linear" or "clinic" I would use "Name contains" followed by " Lin " (don't type the quotation marks but type a space before and after Lin).

That should be enough, provided the files you are searching for don't include names like "_Lin_", where the underscore would prevent the search term being found. If your file names do contain underscores, then you would need to add up to 3 more rows below the first, ie

"Any of the following are true"
"Name contains" followed by " Lin " then
"Name contains" followed by "_Lin_", then
"Name contains" and "_Lin "
then "Name contains" and " Lin_".

Make sure your first row says "Any of the following are true" (not "All of the following are true)

If you are searching within the text of a file, you would need to take account of the fact that the word "Lin" could be followed by text punctuation ie, you could have a sentence ending " Lin." or " Lin?" or have " Lin, " in the middle of the sentence. To catch such options you would need:

"Any of the following are true"
"Text content" "contains phrase" " Lin "
"Text content" "contains phrase" " Lin."
"Text content" "contains phrase" " Lin, "
"Text content" "contains phrase" " Lin?"
"Text content" "contains phrase" " Lin;"
"Text content" "contains phrase" " Lin:"

In each case you have a space before the word "Lin" followed either by another space or by the punctuation which you think might be found in the text (but not the quotation marks)

0 0
sbstrum
I appreciate the above message but hears the rub. If the name being searched happens to be something that many words end in then a whole bunch of files are found. For example, it turns out that my testing the author Lin was a huge mistake because so many of my files have words in them that end in lin and have a space after them. Therefore, I concluded that your "fix" was not a solution. When I tested other names using your approach it works fine, with a few fine tunings.

1. If the filename starts off with the name I am searching then there is no need for a space in front of that name. Searching for Chan as an author where almost all of my files will start off with the author's last name will not find Chan if I insert a space before the name. If I do space Chan space I will only find files where Chan is in the middle of the filename or where Chan is preceded and followed by a space. Otherwise, your suggestion to add the space after the name works great. Thank you.

2. My files followed by an underscore are not found with the procedure you kindly detailed above. I am not sure why not. This is using the "any of the following" as you showed. My only solution is to stop using underscores, which are a pain in the butt to insert anyway.

3. What is CLEARLY needed for HoudahSpot to move up a bunch more notches on the scale of utility is to simplify this by making it able to match WHOLE WORDS as in the Find tool in Word. Also, one other feature would be a major advance: the ability to change a filename within the files found window of HoudahSpot.

I sincerely thank you for your efforts to find a solution to this problem.

0 0
mf
If something is doable Pierre will generally knock himself out to do it. His problem is that he can't make HoudahSpot do anything which requires a property that is lacking from Spotlight - and that may be the obstacle here.

What about this as another possible approach, which may work if you have all your journal papers in a limited number of identifiable folders - with no other types of files mixed in with them.

Get a file renaming utility. I use 'Renamer4Mac'. Use it to:

(1) replace any commas, underscores, slashes or other symbols that appear in a filename with a plus sign ("+"). Replacing any one form of punctuation, even in thousands of files, is a single operation.

(2) replace every space that appears in a file name with a + sign

(3) insert a + sign at the beginning of every file name and at the end of every file name. If your file names end with extensions (.doc, .pdf etc) you could instead replace any occurrence of "." with "+."

This is about 10 minutes work, even for thousands of files, once you are familiar with the renaming utility. (But make sure you have a backup of any folder you try this on - particularly if you're not familiar with the utility)

A series of files which started off as "Lin and Smith", "Smith_and_Lin", "Mellin and Lines", "Jones, Lin and Roberts" should now appear as "+Lin+and+Smith+", "+Smith+and+Lin+"+Mellin+and+Lines+" and "+Jones+Lin+and+Roberts+"

A HoudahSpot search for "+Lin+" in the filename should now identify all files whose name includes Lin, whether Lin appears at the beginning, middle or end of the file name. It should also exclude all other names which incorporate Lin (Mellin, Lines) etc.

Unfortunately your file names won't look very pretty...

0 0
sbstrum
MF: I thank you for your input but i think I have exhausted my interest in pursuing this until those at HoudahSpot can figure out a more user friendly approach. Thanks for your input.
0 0
kellybundy
I downloaded this as I have really big needs to search 10 plus terabytes of unstructured date, so far I think it's great, obviously still a work in progress.

I may be wrong as I have been in IT for some time, but i am just beginning a learning project on programming. (The Stanford and Berkeley Courses on YouTube and Itunes are amazing, Stanford is better, I am doing Programming Methodology or Paradigms, 105a with the Persian heritage teacher, awesome teaher, basically a Java intro with the best teacher I have seen in 3 degrees).

My thought was that I believe Unix has many native callable libraries for regexp etc, Pearl is born for this and comes on the Mac, so to with Python, JRuby and Ruby are easily installed and jruby can call any Java Functions and C++ etc, or if desperate like me, you can get books on this stuff, pearl, Mac Unix command Line via Terminal and I would bet my left nut that this can be done, even just by doing some regexp and cli stuff. No?

I also installed Vmware fusion and can run any windows tool, UE studio has a great set of well respected IDE and file tools around 100 bucks or less, Sharepoint Server foro Search is free at Microsoft, so just learn it and put it into a VM. Always away, don't limit things to just spotlight, this HS is great, but there is more than one thing you can pull up into it, don't let the Apple Spotlight limitations stop you, why not pull in a whole bunch of best of breed. Jruby just had one of the developere port from C, the fastest Regexp engine in the world, again, all free or reusable. Live Long and Prosper.

Lt. Command Spock.
ITrepladetheataat rr.com

0 0
kellybundy
of these, I have only used dtsearch, it is at a much higher price level and windows or linux, no mac, but it might give Phillipe some sense or what that approach has achieved, iti's pretty robust, but at 500 to 2000, it should be. I have a list of these and they can exceed 250000 in sophisticated mining, semantic and data conversion and non-obvious linkage network map visual analytic packages, eg analyst notebook, Norma, now IBM and rebranded as intelligent BI and fraud real time app.

That's why I put dtseearch, I am amazed at how much faster and better Spotlight is than Windows native indexing, it beats the XP, Server 03 and the new Vista, Server 08, well at least without any departure from the default setting.

Phillipe, please keep it wallet friendly if you ever feed it steroids ok?

Live long and prosper...and the Taliban are a Romulan Front!

Vilhelm Kllnk
0 0
sbstrum
Well, now 7 years later, the reply by mf in 2009 on how to fix this problem works using Mac OS El Capitan. Just add a space before and after the "Name is" and voilá you end up with filenames that contain ONLY that search term. Thanks "MF".  It's apparently true that "Time heals all things", at least in this case a search-related issue.
Stephen
0 0
houdah

Hi!

In HoudahSpot 4 there is a hidden setting to enable additional comparison operators on most “text string” criteria.

Click the following link to enable these:

houdahspot4://settings?k=enableAdvancedRelationalOperators&v=YES

One of the additional comparison operators on “Name” is “contains words”. This works the same as in searches by “Text Content”. See the User Guide for details on how “contains words” operates.

To revert to the default value for the hidden setting, click:

houdahspot4://settings?k=enableAdvancedRelationalOperators&v=NULL

Caveat: Though this feature is expected to work, it has not bee thoroughly tested and is used only by a minority.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
odin
Clicking on those links does not work.  It tries to open a browser window (tried in Chrome and Safari) instead.  How can I fix this?  I would really like to try using the new feature.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

It appears that the forum software mangled the links.

Just copy the text of one of the links and paste it into the address field in Safari. Then press return.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0