Clicky

shaynek
Hi All, I'm based in Paris, France (GMT+1). I have a Sony GPS unit that you cannot adjust the time on. I recently went on a trip to Africa. I set the camera to Johannesburg time (GMT+2). I then went on to Kenya (GMT+3). I forgot to adjust the camera time when I went to Kenya.

I'm not sure how to geotag the Kenya photos properly using Houdahgeo. I have made a separate project for the Kenya photos but I don't know what to set the times to in Houdahgeo. Every option I try seems to come out with incorrect results. Could someone help out?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

GPS devices always record track logs using the GMT time zone. There is no need to adjust that.

HoudahGeo operates independently of your computer's time zone. The time zone menu in the top right corner of the project window allows you to specify the computer's time zone. This only affects the display of timezones. Geocoding operations are not influenced by this setting.

Thus you only need to specify the camera time zone for HoudahGeo to operate. In your case that would be GMT+2.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
shaynek
Thanks for that explanation Pierre. What was confusing me was the timestamp column in Houdahgeo but I take it that is not the actual time that will show up on the photo but rather GMT. All seems well now. Thanks again.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

All times displayed in HoudahGeo are shown using the time zone which is selected using the menu in the top right corner of the project window. Typically this menu offers 3 choices: camera time zone, computer time zone and GMT.

The same time zone is used for display in the track log inspector. This makes it easy to verify that your photos and track logs match up.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
vkemppin
Hi,

For some reason I find this utterly confusing.

I have the attached track which was taken on 22nd of December. Pictures were taken betwen 4:54 and 5:51 in Cambodia.

I am not able to use this for geotagging the pictures. When I change the time zone of computer from top right corner the TZ of pictures and the track changes. So how on earth am I supposed to make these match?

You will notice that this GPX file has been generated by myTracks. You previously commented that myTracks creates "problematic" GPX files. I am not sure of that anymore since I have been able to use this workflow previously.

Thanks for help!

Regards,
houdah
Hi!

The process is actually quite simple. You merely need to tell HoudahGeo which time zone your camera was set to.

GPX files should always have timestamps in GMT time zone. Thus HoudahGeo has all the information needed to match the photos to the track log.

The time zone menu in the top right corner only changes the way the timestamps are displayed. This does not actually change the timestamps or influence geocoding. Typically you will have a choice of computer time zone, camera time zone and GMT.

Both the main window and the track log inspector obey this setting. Thus you can easily see if your photos fall within the time span covered by your track log.

Your track log starts at 9:18 AM GMT. I believe that should be 4:18 PM in Cambodia. That should match your photos.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0