Clicky

rafsanchez
I have an issue with GPS tagging of Apple Aperture image "versions" using HoudahGeo v. 2.3.6 and Apple Aperture v. 2.1.4 as follows...

My workflow is currently that I geotag my files using HoudahGeo AFTER they are already managed files within my Aperture database. I start HoudahGeo and select the "Add Images From Library" option to obtain previews from my Aperture library. 

My issue is that, whilst HoudahGeo finds my Aperture library and shows me previews of all my masters in the "Media" window, I cannot see previews (and therefore cannot geotag) any of the versions that I have created of these masters (I create versions using the "Dodge and Burn" plug-in and Nik Software's "Silver Efex Pro".

Is this a bug with Aperture or with HoudahGeo...has anyone else experienced this?

Raf
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I can confirm that the current version of HoudahGeo fails to see alternate Aperture "Versions". I will have to look into this.

Most users want to tag Masters rather than Versions. Versions are short-lived. They get replaced whenever a change is made to the image. Usually metadata is lost when this happens.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
rafsanchez
Pierre

Many thanks for your quick response and for confirming you're aware of this behaviour.

I actually have only just started using Aperture (for my personal images) because I use HoudahGeo usually (and very sucessfully!) with Lightroom (for my professional images).

I think I should point out however (in case you don't use Aperture) that it appears that versions would form a larger part of some peoples' workflows than you suggest and are in fact not short-lived images. Please let me give you an example...

In Lightroom my Nikon NEF files are just the starting position for me and I often apply develop presets and/or run these files through filters (or edit them in PhotoShop) before these files are considered final. In Lightroom I can do this to the NEF file itself (non-destructively) and with many adjustments I do not need to create a 'virtual copy' (Lightroom's equivalent to Aperture's 'versions').

In Aperture however, it appears that any major image adjustment (e.g. "dodge and burn" or application of a filter such as Nik Silver Efex Pro) necessitates the creation of a 'version'. In the case of an image where I want that image in black & white with various exposure adjustments, all of these edits will be present in the 'version' but not the master. I will of course need to keep the master but it's the version that will be visible at the top of the stack and that I will export or print.

I would love for HoudahGeo to be able to tag these versions so that if I do export to a GPS-aware location (e.g. to Flickr) then images where the 'version' is the final output would be correctly tagged.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to explain why I think it's important for HoudahGeo to be able to see the previews of versions and tag them. 

Also, I acknowledge this may well be an Aperture issue (Aperture not serving up previews for 'versions'?) and also suspect things may change with the widely rumoured release of Aperture X being on the horizon...

best regards
Rafael

0 0
houdah
Hi Rafael,

I have looked into this. Unfortunately this is a bug in Aperture. The XML file published by Aperture does not include the versions in the individual albums.

As a workaround you may drag the image from Aperture into HoudahGeo.

Aperture uses two types of versions. The more common one is created by creating a "New Version from Master". This is used for non-destructive editing. The version exists only as a recipe describing how to derive the processed image from the master. Aperture will however maintain JPEG previews for versions. These are very short-lived and get re-created at each adjustment.

At the time of export, a full quality copy of the processed image is created from the master. That's why it makes sense to tag the master file. It's metadata gets copied into the exported versions.

The second type of version is created when editing images using plug-ins or external editors. These do exist as actual files. At first edit, a TIFF or PSD file is created for use by the external editor.

I am not quite sure where export plug-ins obtain metadata from when working with such versions.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0