Clicky

cnfy
Hello
I have made a test with HoudahGeo (353) and a folder of Aperture (345) with gpx files. After treatment all the photos have disappeared except one of this folder when I use HoudahGeo. Fortunately, all the pictures are still there on aperture. I have tested with iMedia Browser and I can see only one picture.... Have you an idea about this difference?
Best Regards

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am not sure I understand correctly.

Does the media browser in HoudahGeo fail to show the newly tagged images?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
cnfy
Hello

Yes. During the process a dozen pictures where tagged with GPS position amongst one hundred. All pictures are no more visible by HoudahGeo browser except one. On the contrary, this project in Aperture contains all pictures and all the other projects of Aperture are correctly opened with HoudahGeo. See the two attached pictures.  Click image for larger version - Name: Capture_d’écran_2013-08-19_à_19.07.31.png, Views: 16, Size: 711.77 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Capture_d’écran_2013-08-19_à_19.06.35.png, Views: 54, Size: 93.47 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have a beta version of HoudahGeo that fixes a bug in the "Reload" feature of the media browser.
I wonder if this fix could also help in this situation.

The beta is available at:

0 0
n4khq
I am having the same missing photo problem listed above and I can't download the beta fix. I get a dropbox error 404. 
Running:
Maverick
Houdah Geo 3.5.7 (6536)
Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The beta was for version 3.5.4. The fix also should be in the newer 3.5.7.

There is a new beta for 3.5.8:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2381634/HoudahGeo/HoudahGeo3.5.8.zip

Do you see the exact same problem as described above: photos are listed and disappear upon tagging?

Could you try control-clicking on the Aperture project and select "Reload" from the context menu?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
Not the same, the last couple of projects only show 2 photos in HoudahGeo when viewing Aperture Library. All of the older projects show all photos for importing. I have checked last import and last month import. Just starting the tagging process.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo reads the "ApertureData.xml" file within your "Aperture Library.aplibrary". In the Finder, you can right-click the .aplibrary file and select "Show Package Contents" to get to that file. Check that it has been recently updated.

In Aperture Preferences > Previews, you can try to disable "Share XML with other applications" and later return to set it to "Always" so as to force Aperture to delete and recreate the XML file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
Reload does not help, Share XML off and back on to force rebuild does not help. ApertureData.xml was updated about 5 minutes ago. I uploaded about 15 more photos to Aperture and only 3 of the photos show in HoudahGeo. I will try the beta next. Thanks
0 0
n4khq
3.5.8 did not fix it either, see post above. The problem must have started with an Aperture Update and I think it was the Update before the last. Starting on 9/26/13 all uploads exhibit the problem described above.

Thanks
0 0
n4khq
More info, see post above. Photos taken on 9/26/13 and 9/27/13 were geotagged whit HoudahGeo and have gone missing when view in HoudahGeo except for 2 or 3 photos. More than 1700 photos uploaded earlier than 9/26/13 are showing in HoudahGeo. I will try Rebuilding Aperture Library, the library seems to be fine but should not hurt to rebuild.
0 0
n4khq
More info, see 3 post above. Rebuilding Aperture Library changed nothing. I took 30 plus pictures on 10/26/13, imported them into Hiwassee River Aperture project, deleted the pictures down to 17. Took 30 plus more pictures on 10/27/13 loaded into Hiwassee Train deleted all be eleven. Emptied Aperture Trash.  In HoudahGeo under Aperture Library Is see 2 photos in Hiwassee River and 3 photos in Hiwassee Train. Under Library Albums - Last week or last month I see 36 photos. 33 of the photos are from Hiwassee River (17 currently in the project and 16 deleted with trash emptied). pPus the three showing in Hiwassee Train project make the 36.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Do you feel like adventurous? 

You can peek inside the ApertureData.xml file using a plain text editor like TextMate or TextWrangler.

You should find an entry for each image in your Aperture library. Please check that these exist for the newly added images.
These should look like:

<key>D%Tey%UvTn6ubNqympmMug</key>
<dict>
<key>Caption</key>
<string>IMG_1645</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string> </string>
<key>ImagePath</key>
<string>/Users/pierre/Pictures/Aperture/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Previews/2013/10/27/20131027-185218/D%Tey%UvTn6ubNqympmMug/IMG_1645.jpg</string>
<key>MediaType</key>
<string>Image</string>
<key>ModDateAsTimerInterval</key>
<real>404589139.85</real>
<key>ThumbPath</key>
<string>/Users/pierre/Pictures/Aperture/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Thumbnails/2013/10/27/20131027-185218/D%Tey%UvTn6ubNqympmMug/thumb_IMG_1645.jpg</string>
<key>latitude</key><real>47.41071667</real>
<key>longitude</key><real>8.59420333</real>
</dict>

For HoudahGeo to be able to display the image, there must be a value for (below) ThumbPath and the file at that path must exist and be readable.
The easiest way to test that is by using the open command in Terminal.app and copy-pasting the path between double quotes. Like so:

open "/Users/pierre/Pictures/Aperture/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Thumbnails/2013/10/27/20131027-185218/D%Tey%UvTn6ubNqympmMug/thumb_IMG_1645.jpg"

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
Ok I will test it out when I get back to the camper this afternoon or tonight. I assume the photos are in chronological order. I will use BBEdit for text editor. Can I see the photo name in the path to open in terminal?

I thought UvTn6ubNqympmMug might have the photo name but on second look I guess not.
0 0
houdah
Images appear to be in chronological order. The above is the very last entry in my ApertureData.xml file.

You should recognize the image name (without the file extension) in the ImagePath and ThumbPath.

The cryptic key is used to reference the image in other parts of the file. E.g. when listing the contents of an album.
Albums are at the top of the file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
The last upload Hiwassee Train had about 40 photos that I deleted down 9 and emptied the trash in Aperture. HoudahGeo, only shows there of the 9 photos. When I checked ApertureData.xml I found only the shame three photos that were showing in HoudahGeo. The Hiwassee River was about 33 photos deleted down to 17 and aperture trash emptied. Only 2 of the 17 photos show in HoudahGeo under Aperture Library -project Hiwassee River. When I look under Albums Last week, I see 36 photos. The same 3 photos showing in Hiwassee Train and 33 photos of Hiwassee River. Half of which were deleted in aperture.

The 
ApertureData.xml file seem to match what I am seeing in Last Week. This makes no since to me.
0 0
n4khq
Any update on why photos are not showing in HoudahGeo that are showing in Aperture? Am I the only one with this problem?

Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

It's hard to tell what is going on.

The next thing you could check is the album KeyLists at the top of the ApertureData.xml file. The Hiwassee River project should list 17 keys.

The AlbumData.xml file was originally created for other iWork and iLife applications to access photos. I believe these applications now use a different mechanism.

In HoudahGeo, this file serves two purposes:
- Convenience. It gives you direct access to your photo libraries.
- It makes the "Notify iPhoto/Aperture" feature possible.

You could drag files into HoudahGeo from the Finder and later tell Aperture to reload metadata from masters.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
Below is the only two occurrences of Hiwassee River in the file. Photo count 2 is what is showing in HoudahGeo but Aperture shows 17 photos.

Thanks

<dict>
<key>AlbumId</key>
<integer>12</integer>
<key>uuid</key>
<string>slHXwUOLTq2jTdOZuIWViQ</string>
<key>AlbumName</key>
<string>Hiwassee River</string>
<key>Parent</key>
<integer>8</integer>
<key>Album Type</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Sort Order</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>KeyPhotoKey</key>
<string>0cVOU0RKT3CBfzBHbvzAfg</string>
<key>ProjectEarliestDateAsTimerInterval</key>
<real>404497801.00</real>
<key>KeyList</key>
<array>
<string>SYJQfvxXTL2JBuOVNUZVhA</string>
</array>
<key>PhotoCount</key>
<integer>2</integer>
</dict>

<dict>
<key>AlbumId</key>
<integer>12</integer>
<key>uuid</key>
<string>slHXwUOLTq2jTdOZuIWViQ</string>
<key>AlbumName</key>
<string>Hiwassee River</string>
<key>Parent</key>
<integer>8</integer>
<key>Album Type</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Sort Order</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>KeyPhotoKey</key>
<key>ProjectEarliestDateAsTimerInterval</key>
<real>404497801.00</real>
<key>KeyList</key>
<array>

0 0
n4khq
I rebuilt the the database on Aperture but it did not help. Looks like ApertureData.xml was messed up by and update.  I use houdahgeo to geotag Rock Island SP and now only 3 of 18 pictures show in houdahgeo. If I go back to earlier photos, the photos seem to match in both applications. Yes it a big big convinces to be able to load from aperture. Loading from finder is not a good solution for me. 
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I would guess this is an Aperture 3.5 bug that is triggered by deleting images.
I guess there is another component (workflow or context) needed to trigger the bug. Otherwise there would be more reports of this.

There are still two things you can try though:

1. Delete the ApertureData.xml file. Aperture will write a new one next time you quit Aperture after making changes
2. Try to access your photos from Aperture > Photos in HoudahGeo. This should list all your photos.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
I trashed ApertureData.xml exited Aperture and the file was rebuilt but Houdah showed the same results. The Photos list shows 1873 images, but only 3 photos for Hiwassee Train. Hiwassee River shows 33 photos, 16 of the photos showing were deleted from Aperture and aperture trash emptied. I emptied the computer trash and 33 photos form Hiwassee River are still showing.

Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I just found documentation on how Apple changed the behavior of ApertureData.xml: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5932
The file is indeed no longer used for Apple applications. It still exists for third party use.

leonieDF at discussions.apple.com seems to see a bug related to what you ran into.

BTW, if HoudahGeo can display previews of your photos, they must still be some place. I.e. Aperture forgot to delete them.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
Yes it is Aperture that is screwed up. When I synced my iPad Air, it loaded the deleted photos. Aperture shows 39 photos in map or project view but aperture is showing the deleted photos in Photo view. I combined the 3 day shoot into one Project, Hiwassee River, with 39 pictures. If I view Photos I have 70 photos. 31 of the photos were deleted using command delete and the trash emptied. The photos seen in HoudahGeo Photos and In the Last Month is 55 and Hiwassee River (39 photos in Aperture) shows 24 photos.
0 0