Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
benjcmin

Hello,

I' having trouble with a very very high CPU load of HoudahGeo. And I don't have an idea where it's coming from.

It seems to be related to the scanning of the picture folders as after quite a while may 15/20 min it stops, but when I move some pictures it seems to rescan the pictures folder.

My Pic Folder is quite big, with several 1000 of photos with JPG, RAW and HEIC Formats. Maybe there is some Format Houdah doesn't like?

Anybody having similar problems.

Kind regards
Benjamin
houdah

Hi Benjamin,

HoudahGeo should read only the images in folders you have open. It should not try to read all subfolders of the Pictures folder. Do you have the several 1000 photos at the top level of the Pictures folder?

HoudahGeo will re-open folders you had open when you last quit the application. Try closing (collapsing) all folders and then quit HoudahGeo.

Pierre Bernard

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
benjcmin

Hi Pierre,

there basically no Photos in the "root" picture folder. And Folder is collapsed, so it seems it's scanning all sub folder though. And in some of those folders are then sometimes more than 1000 files. 
There also seems to be some dependency to the process "iconservicesagent" which in conjunction with HoudahGeo process maxes out my CPU.
I have some a Synology sync/backup running in the background for the pictures folder, syncing everything towards my NAS as backup. Sometimes it looks like if I disable that sync job, the CPU load decreases. But I can't  be 100% sure as it could be a coincidence aswell. 

It's hard to describe or present the situation. But I'm willing to try everything to help sort it out.

Cheers 
Benjamin
houdah

Hi Benjamin,

HoudahGeo watches the folders for changes and reloads if a change is observed. I imagine the sync/backup could be somehow flagging files it has processed or keep an invisible file in the folder to keep track of progress. Such changes could trigger HoudahGeo reloading the folder. If that happens repeatedly (e.g. for every file synched) that could keep HoudahGeo busy.

This is, of course, only an assumption. The effect should stop once sync has completed.

I believe you have already found your way to Activity Monitor.app. When you next see HoudahGeo using up CPU, select the process in Activity Monitor and then use View > Sample Process. This creates a text report of what HoudahGeo is currently up to. Repeat after a couple of seconds. This can reveal if HoudahGeo got stuck in a loop. Please send both reports to support at houdah.com

Pierre

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
benjcmin

Hello Pierre,

I just sent the reports you asked for via Mail. And I just realized something, which I didn't mention in my email. After I just geotagged some photos in one of the folders and saved those (I let HoudahGeo write the data right into the file), HoudahGeo started rescanning the folders and CPU usuage peaked again. So when I'm working of folder after folder and saving those files, this CPU peaks come after every save, it could like the usuage is constant high as it's always rescanning the folder as files have changed in it.

Cheers Benjamin
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.