Clicky

Csaba
When I geocode my photos in HouGeo, and make Lightroom reread the metadata, every accented character I have in the metadata (like é, á...) get replaced with a ? in an inverse square...

Is there a way to fix it somehow?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Sorry to read that you are experiencing problems.

HoudahGeo uses the UTF-8 encoding to write IPTC tags to the photos. Problems may occur if previous IPTC tags exist and were using another encoding.

What were those IPTC tags written with?
Is there a chance you can switch that software to UTF8?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Stan
I am experiencing similar problems with the character encoding when using HG with Lightroom, but only with the metadata for JPEG files. I also use Nikon NEF RAW files, and the metadata stays in tact. Given the status of Lightroom I think it's unlikely that they'll be changing their character encoding any time soon, and I suspect maybe it's something in the specification (or maybe not) for JPEG EXIF metadata.

Stan
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thing is that Lightroom does not specify any character set in IPTC. So they have picked one to write the data fields but are not telling viewers of the image which one they actually picked.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
cftagger
I have the same problem; my workflow is the following (Lightroom 3)
(LR stands for Lightroom; HG for HoudahGeo)

1) LR: Export Metadata into Image file
2) HG: Geocode Images
3) HG: Write back data to Image file
4) LR: Reload Metadata from file
=> all keywords with ä,ö,ü or other special charaters are messed up.

Is there any workaround for this? Maybe a setting within HG to write back MetaData in a "Lightroom-Compatible" format?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have yet to check out Lightroom 3. In Lightroom 2, the root cause for this problem was a bug in Lightroom: it would write IPTC metadata without specifying which encoding it was using.

HoudahGeo uses UTF-8 for IPTC data and adds the appropriate header. The effect of this is that IPTC data created previously by Lightroom will be read as if it were UTF-8.

You could try working around the problem by removing the CodedCharacterSet tag. After that I would expect the original IPTC to be readable again. IPTC written by HoudahGeo will however be garbled.

You may do so by running the following command in the directory where your images reside:

[CODE]/Applications/HoudahGeo.app/Contents/Resources/exiftool -iptc:codedcharacterset= *.jpg[/CODE]

This should be done between steps 3 and 4 of your workflow.

The other option would be to skip writing IPTC data in HoudahGeo. I.e. don't let HoudahGeo write out description, country, state or city.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0