Clicky

Technomad
For some time now I've had a major performance issue with HoudahGeo - if, having geocoded a batch of >100 pictures, I save the metadata to the original files, HoudahGeo simply displays the SBOD, apparently forever (I've currently got a batch of 349 files where I hit write about 4 hours ago...). If however I do them in batches of 30-40, it works fine. As I typically Geocode several hundred files at once, I'd appreciate your thoughts on why this might have arisen (used to be fine).

Now for tech details:
- iMac 27" i7/8GB Memory. 
- OS X 10.7 (no change to problem over 10.6.x)
- HoudahGeo 2.9 (was issue with 2.8)
- Image files on boot drive
- Image files a mixture of Olympus .ORF (E-3) and Sony .ARW (NEX-5).

Any ideas?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Writing out EXIF is a pretty slow process. But it should not be that slow, nor should you bee seeing the beach ball.

Please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for error messages from HoudahGeo. My guess it that it partially crashed and hope for it to have logged a message.

BTW, one of the slow bits of EXIF export is when HoudahGeo needs to look up masters/originals in iPhoto or Aperture.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software sarl
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Technomad
Hi Pierre,
Thanks for your prompt reply - I just tried to save the Geocoding info for 349 masters in one: HG just spun its wheels, showing the beach ball, with the following Console messages:

Jul 23 22:40:44 Babylon HoudahGeo[14509]: EXIFExport.m:389 Found no master for : (null)
Jul 23 22:40:44 Babylon HoudahGeo[14509]: EXIFExport.m:413 Unknown parser : (null)
Jul 23 22:40:45 Babylon HoudahGeo[14509]: EXIFExport.m:389 Found no master for : (null)
Jul 23 22:40:45 Babylon HoudahGeo[14509]: EXIFExport.m:413 Unknown parser : (null)
Jul 23 22:40:46 Babylon HoudahGeo[14509]: EXIFExport.m:389 Found no master for : (null)
Jul 23 22:40:46 Babylon HoudahGeo[14509]: EXIFExport.m:413 Unknown parser : (null)

However, saving in batches has worked - typically taking 30 seconds or so for 50 images. So there seems to be a threshold over which the program just goes and sulks. I don't remember having this in earlier versions though.

Thanks
Richard

0 0
houdah
Hi Richard!

I'll look into that. HoudahGeo should be able to handle much larger batches.

Have you tried tagging your images before importing them into iPhoto/Aperture?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software sarl

0 0
Technomad
Hi Pierre,
Thanks and, FYI, here's my workflow:

1. Download from camera to Finder and rename using A Better Finder Rename
2. Geotag RAW files using HoudahGeo using combination of tracks from Sony GPS-CS1 and Geotagging using Map. Results written to master files.
3. Use Cornerfix to adjust vignetting on manual lenses (where used)
4. Import to Aperture.

So I don't actually involve Aperture until after I've finished Geotagging. Hope this helps.

cheers
Richard
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You may save some time and memory by disabling the "Tag Masters/Originals" option in HoudahGeo EXIF export. This is of use only when images are hosted by iPhoto or Aperture.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0