Clicky

ubrgeek
Just did an update and noticed my system fan was running really loud. Checked console to see what the culprit was (I thought it was Celtx, which I had launched around the same time). But turns out it was the HoudahHelp(Something). I don't remember the specific name. But it was sucking up close to 45% of the cycles. Anyone else experience the same thing?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpotHelper is in charge of the three features listed under HoudahSpot > Preferences > Helper: Tray, Shortcuts, Global Menu.

Obviously it should not use nearly as much CPU.

Next time you notice it using up CPU, please use /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app to create a "Sample Process" report.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
dougb
I'm having a similar issue, except instead of the mentioned process, I'm seeing a huge spike in the WindowServer process.  As I use my mac, I see that process steadily increase in cpu percentage, until it hits 100% (where the computer is really slow).  I've traced it back to Houdahspot.  If I disable that app in the preferences and reset the computer, everything is fine, but when I launch Houdahspot again, I see the same issue.  I'm using 3.5.5.  I noticed in the 3.5.1 release notes, that there was a fix for an issue with CPU usage.  Could this bug have creeped back in?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

So far I have 4 customers report similar problems with HoudahSpotHelper.
Unfortunately I was yet unable to reproduce the issue here. Doing so would help me greatly in tracking it down.

I am assuming you both use HoudahSpot 3.5.5. This version includes only a very minor change to the code running the Tray window. HoudahSpot 3.5.4 included major changes to the Tray.

Which version of Mac OS X are you running?

I have HoudahSpot running on Lion and Mountain Lion and have yet to run into the problem.

Next time you notice it using up CPU, please use /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app to create a "Sample Process" report.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
wjshack
Add me to the list of users who have WindowServer CPU problems with 3.5.5. HS 3.5.4 seems to work OK.  OS 10.7.4 
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have just released HoudahSpot 3.5.6. This reverts a code change made in HoudahSpot 3.5.5. I suspect this bit of code to be responsible for the excessive CPU usage.

Unfortunately I cannot guarantee this fixes the issue. I have so far not been able to reproduce the problem here. Thus I cannot test for it with the new version.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
swilcox
This bug also bit me. As someone else mentioned, it caused WindowServer to run wild (90%+ CPU usage). Doing a Restart or Log Out, or killing WindowServer process (which would then immediately start up again) would fix the issue for a while, but it always returned, sometimes within a few minutes, other times in a few hours. I'm on a MacBook Air (mid 2011) running 10.7.4.

Unfortunately I never did discover the cause, and I ended up doing a complete erase/reinstall of Lion, and then a clean reinstall of apps and documents. Fortunately, I had not yet reinstalled HoudahSpot when I noticed the 3.5.6 update and change log on MacUpdate.com.
0 0
dougb
I tried 3.5.6, and it's seems to be working better now.  The WindowServer process settles down to about 0.3-0.5%.  Thanks!

0 0
josch
Add me to the list of HS users being troubled with the WindowServer bug. Once the HShelper Application kicks in the WindowServer starts to run wild (90%+ CPU usage) and gets my system to be jerky at best and near a standstill at worst. Fans also kick in at full throttle.

I can tell that HShelper seems to be the culprit because moments after the HShelper icon shows up in the OS menu bar and I check CPU usage via istat I can see WindowServer running wild. Also, the very moment I quit HShelper via menu bar Ctrl-click ("Quit HoudahSpot Helper") the WindowServer goes back to 0.X% CPU usage straight away.

I'm on HS 3.9.6 and OS X 10.6.8 on a C2D MacBook Pro.

Let me know if I can help to track down the issue with any Process info from Activity Monitor.
0 0
houdah
Hi

I believe the original problem was with the tray window.

Does disabling the Tray in HoudahSpot > Preferences > Helper help?

Best,
Pierre Bernard, Houdah Software s. à r. l.

0 0
josch
Hi,

unchecking the tray option for HSHelper seems to have calmed the WindowServer. Haven't monitored any CPU-spikes thus far.

I noticed that you mentioned in HoudahSpot 3.5.6 releases notes a bug that was suspected to cause excessive CPU usage by HoudahSpotHelper and WindowManager had been fixed.

Apparently this current bug seems somehow related?!?

Anyhow, in case you find out more about the culprit and have a chance to fix it, let us know in your release notes.

I actually very much like the tray as it comes in handy for quick specific searches.

Thanks a lot!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The old bug was triggered by HoudahSpot tracking keyboard modifier keys to know when to reveal the tray. 

I have recently updated code related to this feature and may have reintroduced the old bug.

I will mention the fix in the release notes.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot 3.9.7 was released yesterday. It should fix this problem.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0