Clicky

rmathes
I just found out about this app and am demoing it. It has potential to help streamline my workflow.

I’m a LaunchBar user, as well as a Pathfinder user. I see that with the Launchbar integration it does not allow the creation of different saved templates that can then be accessed via separate Launchbar searches. That’s a shame, that would be an extremely powerful feature.

So, given that this is not available and that the search engine appears to use the HoudahSpot ‘preferred template’, is there a way to modify the preferred template so Launch Bar would be running the search I most commonly use? The one it runs now is worthless to me.

Secondary question: I saw a prior post asking if it was possible to get the same button integration into Pathfinder that is available for Finder. Any new info on this? That would be powerful, as well. Thanks.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for your interest in HoudahSpot.

You may, of course, select which template to use as Preferred Template in the HoudahSpot preferences.

Using the hhspot URL schema as well as in AppleScript, you may also specify which template to use. You could actually set up several LaunchBar shortcuts for different templates.

As for adding a button to PathFinder, you will need to contact the developer of PathFinder.

Best,
Pierre bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
rmathes
thanks for the reply. A couple questions because I'm having trouble implementing your suggestions.

First, it looks to me like I've modified my preferred template. I went to Preferences/New Search and selected a template I saved called “Documents” that simply searches based on the name, where kind is specified as ‘documents’. But when I go back to calling the search via LaunchBar, it’s not using that template for the search.

Second, is there any documentation on the “hhspot URL schema” and how to setup “several LaunchBar shortcuts for different templates”? I just see the instructions for using the basic one.

Also, I gotta give you this feedback. I absolutely HATE demos that are structured like this one, that instead of giving you a set amount of time to use it give you in this case a limited amount of searches. I’m trying to test out how to get what I want, which so far isn’t working, and I'll burn through my demo allottment and be confronted with the choice of buying something I don’t know will work for me, or just abandoning it and moving on.

Would MUCH prefer to get a 14 or 30 day period.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

BlitzSearch does respect your preferred template. It does however add the name, contents and comment criteria to the to of your query.

In the hhspot URLs you may specify the template to use using the templatename parameter. Be careful to URL-encode the name of your template. E.g. a space character should be written as %20. E.g:

hhspot://blitzSearch?searchString=*&filenameFlag=YES&contentFlag=YES&commentsFlag=YES& templatename=My%20Documents

The idea behind the current demo period is to make sure that an unlicensed copy of HoudahSpot never goes 100% stale. You may always get 1 search out of each reboot.

I must admit that I am not satisfied with the setup either. Yet I still have not found a better way to structure the demo.

Please email me at support.houdahspot [at] houdah.com. I can provide you with a time-limited license.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
rmathes
OK, I'm missing something here because this just isn’t working for me.

I’ve created a new template called Documents. I’ve specified that template to be my preferred template. When I run a Launchbar call of the HS query, I'm getting the same search as before I designated this as my preferred template. Nothing has changed.

So, can you lay out for me step by step EXACTLY how I configure LaunchBar to call a specific template that I have created and saved?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have verified here that a LaunchBar issued BlitzSearch uses the Preferred Template.

You may also configure LaunchBar to use a specified template. E.g. to use your Documents template, you would enter the following as a search string in LaunchBar's configuration:

hhspot://blitzSearch?searchString=*&filenameFlag=YES&contentFlag=YES&commentsFlag=YES& templatename=Documents

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0