Clicky

chazzo
I can't get the HoudahSpot menu bar search option to work reliably because my Mac is deleting HoudahSpot Helper.app from the HoudahSpot.app bundle. Has anyone else seen this behaviour? I've checked the forum but couldn't find a parallel case.

I'm using HoudahSpot 3.7.5 with a clean install of 10.8.3 on a 2011 Mac mini.

When I re-install HoudahSpot from the downloaded zip file, HoudahSpotHelper.app is visible in HoudahSpot.app > Contents > Resources. But when I try to enable the menu bar item, it generally does not appear, and when I check for the presence of HoudahSpotHelper.app I find that it's been moved to the Trash.

I have had the menu bar icon working a couple of times. And once when I re-started I got a message saying that HoudahSpot Helper was damaged and that it would be removed. (I thought that meant removed from my startup items, so I was quite surprised to find that it had been trashed.) But mostly the failure happens silently.

I looked in the Console logs but couldn't find any trace of this. I'm no expert with log files so perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

That is very odd.

Can you send me a screenshot of the message about HoudahSpotHelper being corrupted.
I may be able to identify which system component or application puts this up.

Are you running a third party tool to remove PowerPC binaries or unneeded localizations?
Changes made by such tools might cause Gatekeeper to flag an application as damaged.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
chazzo
Thanks Pierre. I've sent you a PM with a couple of screenshots.

Definitely Gatekeeper-ish. I have changed my settings in "Security & Privacy > General > Allow applications downloaded from:" setting from "Mac App Store and identified developers" to "Anywhere". Now after a stern "Are you sure?" warning I'm allowed to load HoudahSpotHelper.

[QUOTE]Are you running a third party tool to remove PowerPC binaries or unneeded localizations?[/QUOTE]

No, and I can't think of anything else that might have the same effect. As I said, I downloaded v 3.7.5 (5424) yesterday and kept the zip file, and I've used this to re-install the complete app whenever HoudahSpotHelper has ended up in the trash.

I'll try to send you my copy of HoudahSpotHelper.

Many thanks

Charles

0 0
houdah
Hi!

It indeed appears that the currently shipping HoudahSpotHelper.app has a damaged code signature.

I still have to figure out what damaged it.
And why it didn't show in my testing.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Today's HoudahSpot 3.7.6 update should fix this issue.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
chazzo
Parfait!

And on a Sunday too… I am amazed. Keep up the great work.

Charles

0 0