Clicky

doublespiral
Hello,

I just upgraded from an older version to HoudahSpot 5 (5.0.11).

In the previous version, I used Cmd-F from the Finder to summon HoudahSpot and had it set to search my local hard drive "Macintosh HD". However, when I was in another application - like Firefox or Mac Mail or Excel - I could use Cmd-F to summon the search feature native to those programs.

Currently, depending upon how I set the shortcut, I seem to have two options:

1) Either set it Globally so that no matter what app I am using, HoudahSpot takes over the search functionality and Cmd-F does not let me use the app's native search functionality

2) Or set it to search the Finder and then when I type Cmd-F, HoudahSpot defaults to searching the foremost open Finder window to the exclusion of the rest of my hard drive. Or, if no folder is open, it defaults to "Local volumes + user home".

I would like to regain the old functionality: When in a specific application, allow Cmd-F to search using that app's search functionality. And when I click on the Finder/Desktop, allow Cmd-F to summon HoudahSpot to search my entire hard drive (but not backup discs) by default - even if there are other Finder windows open.

Yes, in the latter example, I can go to "Locations" and select "Macintosh HD", but it's an extra step and involves mousing. I'd like to just hit Cmd-F from the Finder and be able to search my default "Macintosh HD" every time.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

(I tried to upload images from the HoudahSpot > Preference > Shortcuts pane, but the formatting button above won't work for me - either uploading to a third party site like Imgur and trying to add a link or dragging and dropping into the body of this message.)

Thank you
0 0
houdah
I have noted your feature request.

You may want to try Command-F. This has not been updated in a while, but should still work to give you the desired shortcut behavior.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
doublespiral
OK, I will try Command-F, though I can't figure out how to access it. I had an old version of it installed and have replaced that with the one you linked. Activity Monitor says it is running, but I don't know how to configure it. Is that done from within HoudahSpot somewhere? In Preferences, I only see Shortcuts and Extensions as potential options, but don't see any menus for Command-F.

Thank you
0 0
houdah
Command-F is found in the menu bar. Close to the clock. It 's icon is a magnifying glass

0 0
doublespiral
Gotcha. Thanks. Looks like it's too old. It only has the option for HoudahSpot 3 and HoudahSpot 4 (along with Tembo and a couple of others).

HoudahSpot 5 behaves the same way whether Command-F is running or not, so either it's not functioning properly or HoudahSpot 5 is taking over-riding it.

I guess I'll just hope that a future update incorporates the functionality to use ⌘-F from the Finder to search using my default template rather than the foremost open folder while simultaneously allowing users to use the native search functionality of other programs (like browsers, Word, Excel, Acrobat, Mac Mail, etc) to search documents in those programs.

Anyway, thanks for creating and maintaining HoudahSpot. It's so much better than using Spotlight and I'm very happy with it.
0 0
houdah
The "HoudahSpot 4" setting in Command-F should work for HoudahSpot 4. You need to disable the shortcut in HoudahSpot and instead set it up in Command-F.

0 0