Clicky

pablo
I'm using HoudahGeo 1.4.10 just updated today, but saw this issue with the previous version also.

I use Lightroom 2 Beta, but see the same issue in LR 1.4. I'm running OS 10.5.2.

I have a batch of images which were somehow geocoded incorrectly (weeks ago), I'm not sure what happened. They all have the same lat/long, at a point where I stopped shooting photos for the day. I see the incorrect GPS data within Lightroom, when I click the arrow so LR will show me the photo location, it goes to the wrong place.

I tried geocoding the images again in HoudahGeo. When I load the track for that day, the images all acquire the correct lat/long within HG. If I export to Google Earth, they are shown correctly! Then I select "Export metadata for X images...." with "Work on Original Images" selected, but "Create XMP sidecar files" not checked.

Back in Lightroom, I have learned you must select Metadata--"Read Metadata From File" in order for the GPS data coded by HG to show up. When I do this, the GPS data is NOT updated, nor does it change when I select "Save Metadata to File". It retains the incorrect GPS data.

I normally use "Work on Original Images" in HG, with "Create XMP sidecar files" not checked. But I also tried "Create XMP sidecar files", that didn't work either.

I was able to work around this one time by throwing away the image's XMP sidecar file from the folder where the original image and sidecar file are stored. When I then selected "Read Metadata from File" in Lightroom, the photo showed the correct GPS data in Lightroom.

So, my question is how can I get HoudahGeo to overwrite the bad GPS data so that Lightroom will show it correctly? I'd rather not trash those XMP files. Thank you--normally HoudahGeo works great, I just have this one batch of photos I'm having trouble with.
Pablo

0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo considers XMP file to take precedence over embedded metadata. Once it finds an XMP file, it reads and writes only from the sidecar.

That is, no matter what your settings are, GPS data will be written to the XMP sidecar when present.

It seems, from your description, that Lightroom does not take the same approach. This surprises me.

Please check if there is a way to force Lightroom to honor the XMP sidecar.

Otherwise you may want to move the sidecars out of the way for the period of EXIF/XMP export in HoudahGeo.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
pablo
Thanks, that's helpful to know HoudahGeo looks for the XMP files first. I'll do some research on the Lightroom side and will try to report back, though it may be a few days. In the meantime, it looks like temporarily removing the XMP files might be a solution, it'll be interesting to check that further. I will report later.

0 0
Leprish
[QUOTE]It seems, from your description, that Lightroom does not take the same approach. This surprises me.

Please check if there is a way to force Lightroom to honor the XMP sidecar.

Otherwise you may want to move the sidecars out of the way for the period of EXIF/XMP export in HoudahGeo.[/QUOTE]

Lightroom honors the XMP sidecar, and gives it precedence over embedded metadata
0 0
houdah
Hi!

That is the behavior I would expect. Thanks for clarifying.

In that event, Lightroom should immediately be able to see the GPS data written by HoudahGeo.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Leprish
[QUOTE]In that event, Lightroom should immediately be able to see the GPS data written by HoudahGeo.[/QUOTE]

It isn't quite immediate. The user must select the images in Lightroom Grid view then choose "Read metadata from file"  from the Library modules Metadata menu. This results in the HoudahGeo GPS data being written into the Lightroom catalog
0 0