Clicky

thedr
I have a folder with about 1000 different folder names inside of it and I am trying to organize it.  I am simply trying to search for folders with a specific word in their names so I can move them into a new folder.  However I cannot figure out how to make Houdaspot stop at the folder level I am searching.  It keeps drilling down into the folders nestled within the search folder and that is not what I want to do.  Is there some way to tell OSX or Houdaspot not to drill down and just search within the top level folder that I am searching?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You can exclude locations from search results in HoudahSpot.
You would however need to add all folders to that list to achieve the desired result.

So you could:
  1. Open the top folder in Finder list view and sort by Kind
  2. Select and drag all folders to HoudahSpot's "Exclude…" pane
  3. Configure and run your HoudahSpot search
However I believe that neither the Finder nor HoudahSpot are the perfect tool for what you are trying to do.
I would use the command line in Terminal.app

[CODE]mkdir "MyNewFolder"
mv *"MyKeyWord"* "MyNewFolder"[/CODE]

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
thedr
I appreciate the reply but would this be a simple feature to add because I find myself wanting to do this sort of thing often and it seems simple enough as it is just a matter of restricting the search to the top level of folders.

Terminal would give me a list but I cant drag and drop them and ensure that the are what I am looking for, etc.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

It is unfortunately not simple in the context of HoudahSpot.
Spotlight always searches subfolders. So HoudahSpot has to let the results to come in and then filter out unwanted results.
I.e. you might wait for the whole folder hierarchy to be searched before being able to proceed.

The following command would list files and folders matching your keyword:

[CODE]ls -ld *"MyKeyWord"*[/CODE]

The commands I previously posted take care of moving the files.

If you want to use a GUI, you should look at search tools that are not based on Spotlight.
FindAnyFile comes to mind. Not sure if it can be set to skip subfolders.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
thedr
great thanks.  i recently downloaded find any file and it does this.  Thanks again
0 0