Clicky

mindfulsearch
Hi,

I've bought HoudahSpot about a year ago and am suddenly enjoying it as a way to find stuff on my Mac which Spotlight simply cannot.

Except, it's failing to find text within RTF files. Is there a way to, and if so, how exactly do we do this?

I note that a free competitor, EasyFind, can do it. But HoudahSpot is failing to find specific words within RTF files.

Thanks
0 0
houdah
HoudahSpot searches the Spotlight index. Please make sure that the folder where your RTF files are located is not excluded from Spotlight indexing. Check System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy. 
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
mindfulsearch
That's a shame. I thought the point of HoudaSpot was that it doesn't use Spotlight (otherwise why would it exist?). My bad, I guess. Spotlight is a very poor file search experience (Windows is a lot better), and it frequently has gaps in its indexing. Easyfind is finding the text I want, and neither Spotlight nor HoudahSpot is.
0 0
houdah
HoudahSpot relies on the Spotlight index for content and metadata searches. It adds tools and an interface that help you quickly find the proverbial needle in a haystack of many thousand files.

HoudahSpot gets two main benefits from building atop of the existing Spotlight index:
  • Fast searches without wasting computer resources and storage space on an additional index
  • Access to content and metadata of a virtually unlimited number of file formats. Creators of proprietary files typically install the matching Spotlight plug-in.

P.S.: Searching RTF files - unless located in a location that is excluded from Spotlight indexing - should work fine on any Mac. The Spotlight plug-in for RTF files is installed with macOS. Should searching for RTF files in a regular user folder fail, I suggest you try rebuilding the Spotlight index.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0