Clicky

louploup
I upgraded from Mac G4 to (used) Mac Pro a few months ago. Hallelujah it's fast with solid state boot HD. I kept old start up HD as an archive and it's readily accessible. (However, it's on the ATA bus, unlike all the other HDs which are SATA, if that makes any difference.)

Somehow I lost a year's worth of work on an important spreadsheet. I tried to find earlier versions of the file with HS. It only found newer versions without lost info (including new backups I'd set up on other drives using CCC). Arrrgh, starting to get desperate. I opened Spotless to confirm that the old drive was indexed. Says it is. I went into the directory of the old boot drive, and lo and behold, the file I wanted was there (at least a version good enough to prevent me tearing out all my hair).

To trouble shoot HS, I selected the specific volume where the file is located by using the "Where..." criteria. I can select all the way down to the very folder, and HS still won't show it. ?? The file path is in the old drive's "Users:AdminNameocuments" location; is that the problem? If you think I should try forcing Spotlight to index the volume (in Terminal?) please give me that sudo command.

I just checked again, and HS finds lots of files all over that HD, and at least some in the Users folder.  ???

HS is great software, notwithstanding the above issue.

p.s. FWIW, I think Lion sucks. Mail.app is awful in 10.6, and no better if not worse in 10.7. Within 24 hours, I moved back to 10.6 and my old Eudora (which won't work in 10.7 because of Apple's crumby decision to abandon Rosetta). Eudora is lots like HS: easy to use, transparent file handling, and great search function. If anyone knows of an on board email server that compares with Eudora for the day when I finally have to give it up, please let me know. Thunderbird?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am not quite sure what could be causing this. It might be related to access rights. But I am not sure how. Those should / would also prevent you from browsing the files.

Please try re-indexing the drive using the following method. Add the drive to the list in System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy. Wait a bit. Remove the drive from the list. Indexing should now start.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
louploup
Thanks, one of those two actions worked. Unfortunately I did not do one at a time, so I'm not sure which. The Users folder was "read only" to all but Admin, but that shouldn't matter, should it?

Anyway, thanks very much.

0 0
houdah
My guess is that the re-indexing did the trick.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0