Clicky

levelbest

Should HoudahSpot have saved search folders on each window with results replacing the search for that window? vote

Yes, absolute! Great idea. 1 vote
100%
 No thanks 0 votes
0%
This poll has been closed.
I love using HoudahSpot (HS), I use it all the time. I am a writer and I have so many ideas to track, so many half begun projects not to mention really digging into a project and seeing where I am, what is left to do, etc. I am also a musician, keeping up with daily living, etc. I wish my brain was better at staying organized, even with software help I fall into gaps at times.

I just discovered a great little free app called NVALT, a note taking app that launches/always on from the menu bar. It allows metadata tagging of notes. I also discovered that Apples Mail allows Metadata tagging of notes.

Because I now realize that I can track my reminder notes and starting ideas and research as well as my email I want to respond to with metadata tags, and HS can save queries on the same key Metadata tags I might use for iGTD (Action, etc) I am now exploring iGTD examples and using HS as a part of a workflow that I am trying to put together. I am wondering how others are using HS toward iGTD ideas? 

The only thing I really see missing is something I wrote about before on this forum, the idea of using Leap like bookmarks and having folders I can create and keep on across the top of the HS layout. I dont think the HS developers liked the idea and I think they didn't think their users liked the idea either. For me it is a serious necessity as it is hard to remember the criterion and much easier, much more successful for me to go back to a simple menu that I can keep updated. Yes I Can look over at the pop out bar and go through the choices each time and start a new window each time or remember the Kay Action words and retype them each time. But isn't that defeating the purpose of using iGTD as I have mentioned? It certainly increases the chances I will drop the ball one more time and miss my workflow targets.

I would love to hear how others think about this idea of adding search folders of saved key searches on the same HS window (and still have multiple window searches as an option) and I would love to hear how others are using HS for iGTD like organizing for key files in their workflow.

Much thanks.

David
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I hope HoudahSpot users will chime in here.

I cannot offer much with regards to iGTD.
I remember seeing a blog post about HoudahSpot and GTD, but now cannot seem to find it.

I am always exploring new ideas to improve HoudahSpot.
I am currently considering tabs and a sidebar. The sidebar would be similar to the current Tray window.

Nothing is set in stone. I cannot yet make any promises.
Please do keep feedback and suggestion coming.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
fwolfe
I also tried NVALT, but it created more problems for me that it solved. And one can always make a tagged rtf with textedit. I decided to us TaskPaper for notes.

For getting an idea of what is in your HS files, and their tags, you can make an HS file that displays all of your .hspot file as well as comment and tags by requiring .hspot in the name category. I find that much more useful than the output from leap, and much easier to modify when needed. I call the file HSpot Queries.

Fred

0 0
levelbest
I hate comparing Leap to HS, I dont mean any disrespect, I am happy to stay with HS. Leaps developers shot themselves in the foot long ago with this user. I only use a 2.0 version of Leap as that still has the non cloud (linear) collection of tags on the left. I really can't deal with a huge cloud of random looking words that Leap turned into, my brain just cant process it all that well.

But Leap did have a great bookmark feature where I can save searches and them pull down the menu and have the window I am on change search results instantly to whatever saved search I then trigger.

I love how powerful HS is and I would not want to take away multiple windows for all who need or want them. HS is still a very good tool and I am glad to have it. But, it can also be a great tool for everyday repetitive tasks and to do that, I still think it needs saved searches and menus.

@fwolfe: I forgot about saved searches as seperate files. I suppose I could look at using Keyboard Maestro to build a menu of key HS searches (I think that was what you were saying)? This is still my hope for living with organization and setting up familiar search menus as a part of HS.

@houdah: Thanks for listening and for continued development.
0 0
fwolfe
@levelbest. The way to do this is to save searches that deserve to be saved as separate files (they could be saved as templates also because the distinction between files and templates is small). Make 1 search a template for searches and the others your ordinary files. See attachments. Further, you can easily changes files queries, give titles to them through comments, and see what tags you have. To my mind much easier and much better than Leap. And, yes, agree with you about Leap. 

*Pierre: "I am always exploring new ideas to improve HoudahSpot. I am currently considering tabs and a sidebar. The sidebar would be similar to the current Tray window." I would be strongly against a sidebar unless it were optional. I would like all of the screen I can get to display comments and tags (see my attachments). If you take away space from me, I would be harder to use.

Among suggestions that would be helpful to me would be 1) a click box to switch between displaying the query frame and not displaying it; 2) the ability to switch by keys or boxes from various displays. For example, for some display I would like room to see the full comment. But I would also some time like to which to see all of the tags associated with the file. To do this now I have to resize.

I love this program. It makes it possible for me to do my work as no other program can do. Thanks.

Fred
Click image for larger version - Name: HSopt_Queries.png, Views: 12, Size: 272.91 KB Click image for larger version - Name: FM_Trauma.png, Views: 11, Size: 558.43 KB
0 0
levelbest
Revised:  Here is my work around. Using Keyboard Maestro to trigger from a menu. Put macros in a pull down menu, always on in the menu bar so all my fav searches are stored by group. On selecting a search, KM does a few things using Applescript and simulated keyboard clicks. You could probably do the same thing just in Applescript (except for the simulated key presses).

Macro closes the top window if HS has an active window so that when it opens the new search in a new window I will have similar results to keeping just one window at a time open for the search. Just for grins, I also re-sized the window and killed the search bar.

-------------
tell application "HoudahSpot"
    Activate
    if Window 1 exists then
        Close Window 1
    end if
end tell
-------------

Open The File (Path to file)

-------------

tell application "HoudahSpot"

if window 1 exists then
        set bounds of the window 1 to {4, 9, 1000, 1300}
    end if
end tell

-------------

Key Stroke "Option Command R"

-------------

David
0 0
KipV
One big yes vote for the optional sidebar!! Dragging files into the tray can be clunky. I need to have the ability to easily edit tags by just selecting the files and typing in the new tags. Also I would like the option to add a tag to multiple items without having to delete tags that were there previously like you can do in Lightroom. I can't stress enough that is would be very helpful to have an area on the sidebar to see related tags to the tags I have selected.
0 0