Clicky

alanterra
Hi

My default PDF Reader is Skim. When I open a PDF in HoudahSpot, the search string is automatically filled in. Unfortunately, it isn't the right search string.

If I search for the phrase "two words", then the pdf is opened with the search string "two%20words." Is it possible for HoudahSpot to put in the non-escaped text string in this case?

Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

This appears to be a bug in Skim. The older Skim 1.4.6 pick the search string up with no additional escaping. The current Skim 1.5.2 adds escaping to white space and special characters.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
alanterra
Are you sure? I see different behavior.

I just installed Skim 1.4.6 and set it as the default app for one pdf. When I choose that pdf in a Houdah Search (“Survival.pdf”), it opens in 1.4.6 with no search string.

[53]

HoudahSpot search returns three documents

[30]

No Search String in this case (Skim 1.4.6)

While if I open any other pdf, with Skim 1.5.2 (latest) as the default app, I get the “%20” escaped string:

[00]

Escaped Search String in this case

My reading of this is that for some reason Skim does not pick up the search string in v. 1.4.6, but that has been added as an option for 1.5.2, but it doesn’t work correctly in 1.5.2. Whether the bug is in HoudahSpot or Skim is not yet clear to me.

If you can confirm that this is a Skim bug, and not a HoudahSpot bug, I will report this as a bug to the developer of Skim App. But please help me explain it to him in a way that makes it easy for him to understand that it is a Skim bug.

Thank you!

0 0
houdah
HoudahSpot does two things to pass on the search string:

- it includes this as kAESearchText in the Apple Event use to open the receiving application
- adds the search string to the search pasteboard

Very few applications support kAESearchText. Skim 1.4.6 does not, but 1.5.2 does.

In most applications, the shared search pasteboard holds the last text you searched for. Edit > Find > Find… will show you that.  Edit > Find > Find Next finds the next occurrence of that text.

When you open a PDF in Skim 1.4.6, you can press command-G to "Find Next". A bar will show above your PDF. It has the search string passed on by HoudahSpot.

Skim 1.5.2 uses the kAESearchText search string in the search field of the left sidebar. This new feature appears to have a bug where it adds text escapes. HoudahSpot sets kAESearchText to a string without escape characters.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0