Clicky

bonzon
Excellent news to see integration with iPhoto '09 in HoudahGeo 2.2! I haven't tried the beta yet (because it crashes), and I was wondering:

- Is the reading and writing of metadata in the iPhoto database using official Apple API, or is it a hack thanks to a reverse engineering of the iPhoto database structure? In other terms, should I refrain myself to apply future iPhoto updates - that might change the database structure - before I have confirmation they are compatible with HoudahGeo, or can I safely apply these iPhoto updates?

- Is it required to have iPhoto app not running at the same time than HoudahGeo, to avoid conflicts?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Writing metadata to iPhoto '09 requires direct database access. There is no public API to perform this feature.

That's why it is recommended to quit iPhoto before performing the update. It is also a good idea to have a current backup.

HoudahGeo takes many precautions during this procedure. It is very unlikely to create problems with future versions of iPhoto. Moreover it is unlikely for Apple to change the database format in minor updates.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
bonzon
All right. I tested 2.2 beta 6. I then suggest, when starting HoudahGeo, to detect if iPhoto is already running. And if it is, warn the user.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo 2.2 checks if iPhoto is running before writing to the iPhoto database and asks the user to quit iPhoto.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
ebhanson
I'm finding myself very confused about this workflow. Very excited to use it, but not sure how.

I launch HoudahGeo and select a photo from my library. Then locate it on the map to get lat/lon. If I write the EXIF however even with the tag originals/masters selected, I see nothing reflected in my iPhoto library when relaunching iPhoto. (e.g., looking at inspector panel, there is still no lat/lon).

Am I supposed to reverse geocode first in HoudahGeo? What is written to the iPhoto database?

Thanks,
- Eric
0 0
houdah
Hi!

iPhoto does not have the ability to reload metadata for photos it manages. HoudahGeo works around this limitation by writing directly to the iPhoto database. This feature was introduced in HoudahGeo 2.2 and works only with the latest version of iPhoto'09.

For this feature to work:

- Photos need to be hosted by iPhoto'09
- HoudahGeo needs to have loaded photo libraries
- You need to select the "Tag Masters/Originals" option

Once HoudahGeo has written the EXIF tags, it will offer the option to update the iPhoto'09 database.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
ebhanson
Thanks, Pierre:

So, I guess the problem is that I'm never seeing the option to update the iPhoto db. Is there something I have to enable to ensure that option is presented to me?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo may have trouble detecting the fact that a photo is hosted by iPhoto if the same file is referenced by other photo libraries or stored outside the iPhoto library in the Pictures folder.

If that is the case, please disable the loading of the competing library. There is currently no UI to disable the parsing of the Pictures folder. You may however disable this by issuing the following at the command line while HoudahGeo is not running:

[CODE]defaults write com.houdah.HoudahGeo iMBPicturesFolder NO
[/CODE]

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
bonzon
Are there commands to disable parsing of the other photo libraries (iPhoto, Aperture, etc.)?

A little feature request. The Extented Photo Info panel in iPhoto has a GPS Altitude field. My tests show that HoudahGeo does not update this field in the iPhoto database when writing tags. Correct? I suggest it does.

This Extented Photo Info panel also has a multi-level Place field, with the 4-level textual location details shown in Places mode. Textual location entered in HoudahGeo (City, Province, Country) is not updated in this Place field. Correct? Would be nice to see too in a future version.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

1. The other libraries may be disabled from HoudahGeo preferences.

2. Altitude is not currently exported to iPhoto as I could not figure out where iPhoto stores this information.

3. The full textual location should be provided for reverse geocoded photos. This has been added in HoudahGeo 2.2.2.

4. I have just verified the code. It appears that timestamp should only be written when this is explicitly requested. Can you provide a sample image where HoudahGeo modified the timestamp without your consent?

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
bonzon
Thanks for your fast and detailed answer once again!

1. Of course, I forgot about this.
2. I'll have a look at the iPhoto SQLite files and see if I can figure it out... I'll sure let you know if I do.
3. There is already a version 2.2.2 ? Cool. I was still in 2.2.
4. False alert. I removed this from my post in fact, while you replied. I later realized this tag was present in my all photos, even though I didn't enabled the Timestamp option, because the tag was already present in the original photos, before imported in HoudahGeo. I did my tests with photos shot on a iPhone, that includes this Timestamp tag.
0 0
bonzon
I have found where the GPS altitude is stored. I'll e-mail you the details...
0 0