Clicky

svante
Hi,
I've been using HoudahGeo quite successfully to tag coordinates onto NEF files from my Nikon D80. However I haven't managed to figure out how to get it to tag coordinates onto images taken when there was no GPS reception, eg when inside a building. I would have expected Houdah to interpolate between the 2 closest data points found, ie just before entering and just after leaving the building, and as such be able to still tag the images with close-enough coordinates -- but I can't get it to do that. Is this possible?

By the way I'm using Wintec WBT-201 over Bluetooth with Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Many thanks,
Svante
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo does interpolate between track points. It however imposes limits on how much time can elapse between two points in order to still allow interpolation.

Refer to the built-in Help for details and instructions on how to change the defaults. Please report back with your preferred settings.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
svante
That's good news! Unfortunately I can't find the relevant sections in the help file nor can I see anything in the preferences dialog (only a 'general' tab with total 4 options). Can you provide some detail pointers?

For my preferred use I would like to keep the timeout settings very large because the GPS is always with me in the camera bag when I go out. If not, or if I'm running out of battery or whatever, then that's an exception case and I will know not to try and tag those images.

Thanks!

0 0
houdah
Here's the relevant section from the Help:

The automatic geocoding algorithm comes pre-configured with sensible settings that should suffice for common uses of HoudahGeo.

[I]The following should be read only by advanced users.
[/I]

For special needs, you might however want to fine-tune those settings. Currently this can only be done on the command line in Terminal.app. Please quit HoudahGeo before proceeding.

Available settings are:

- gobbingLimit: Number of minutes by which to extend the search for tracks matching a given photo. This defaults to 5 minutes. A photo is considered to match up with a track if it falls within the track's time span of 5 minutes within the beginning or end of that time span.

- mergingLimit: GPS devices may start new tracks when turned on or after losing GPS signal. Strictly speaking we cannot geocode a photo that falls between two tracks. HoudahGeo however decided to merge two tracks if the time elapsed between the first track's end and the other track's beginning is less than 5 minutes.

- matchingLimit: HoudahGeo determines the location where a photo was taken by matching it up with two track points: one preceding and one following the time the photo was taken. If the closest point's timestamp is more that 10 minutes before or after the photo was taken, HoudahGeo considers there is no match and does not geocode the photo. A value of 0 disables this check.

On the command line you may set one of these preferences by entering a command similar to the following:

[I]defaults write com.houdah.HoudahGeo gobbingLimit 5
[/I]
You may revert to the default settings by issuing the following commands:

[I]defaults remove com.houdah.HoudahGeo gobbingLimit
[/I][I]defaults remove com.houdah.HoudahGeo mergingLimit
[/I][I]defaults remove com.houdah.HoudahGeo matchingLimit
[/I]

HoudahGeo copies these settings into your project documents. Projects created before setting these preferences retain their old settings.

0 0
svante
Ah, great. I'll give that a try. Thanks!
0 0
pczjrh
Hi,
I'm in a similar situation. I can export my GPS data to a CSV file, with points logged every 30 seconds or so, but I can not seem to get HGeo to interpolate the points??
I have noted that the GPS log appears to be only 2 seconds off a few photos.
Can you post an example of the CSV format so I can modify mine.
I have copied a line and an example data format for you to look at.
Thanks in advance,
Jason.

LAT_DEC         LONG_DEC         LAT_DMM         LONG_DMM         OSGB_GRID         OSGB_E         OSGB_N         ELEVATION         SPEED_CUR         SPEED_AVG         DIST_TRIP         DIST_TOTAL         SATELLITES         HDOP         LOC_TIME         LOC_DATE         MH_GRID
50.93365         -1.40505         5056.0189         -124.3029         SU         41905         15080         119         4         4.2         1.649         1         5         4.3         10:06:31         01/05/2008         IO90HW14
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo should be able to interpolate and account for the 2 seconds your camera time was off. Did you set the correct camera time zone and clock error in HoudahGeo?

The CSV file structure is documented here: [URL=http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_unicsv.html]http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_unicsv.html [/URL]

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
pczjrh
Thanks, sorted it ;-)
Just needed to rename the CSV headers and remove the unwanted stuff.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Jason.

0 0