Clicky

KeithB

I am using the demo version of HoudahGeo to see if I can get the hang of this whole geotagging thing, but I am having some problems.  Here is what I did:

For this experiment I used my Canon A400 and my new Qstarz BT-Q1300.

I started the Q1300 and took a few photos.

I got home, imported the jpegs to the iPhoto Library on one account on the computer.  I then exported them to the "Shared" directory.

I fired up my demo version of HoudahGeo and tried to get HoudahGeo to see the photos.  After some confusion, I figured out that the photos must be writeable, so I moved them to the desktop.

Then I realized, because of the switch to DST, my clock was one hour off.  It took me a while to realize that the camera offset has to be set *before* you import them to HoudahGeo.

Finally, I got black photos.  I exported them with EXIF info.

I transferred them to my MacBookPro via a USB stick and imported them into iPhoto '09. But when I go to Places I get a "you must have photos with location information in order to use places"  and when I click on the little "i", I am prompted to add location information.

However, when I look at the files with Preview the proper location is shown.
Is there some option I need to check in order to get HoudahGeo tagging to work in iPhoto?

Or is it my convoluted workflow?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

You may simplify your workflow some by skipping the initial import into iPhoto. You may for example use Apple's Image Capture application. You may also want to read [URL=http://blog.donaldburr.com/?p=11]this review[/URL] for an alternative workflow. Please scroll down to read my comments too.

There is also a [URL=http://www.screencastsonline.com/index_files/SCO0186-iphonegeo.php]nice episode of ScreenCastsOnline[/URL] detailing the use of HoudahGeo with iPhoto'09.

If your files have been geotagged by HoudahGeo and tags can be seen by Preview, iPhoto should be fine with them.

I take it that you have used 2 different instances of iPhoto. If you were to import files back into the iPhoto library used for importing, it might detect duplicates and skip import.

BTW, you may adjust camera properties at a later time in HoudahGeo by selecting Camera Setup from the Images menu.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KeithB
Thanks for the quick reply.
I know my workflow is complicated, it is just my first attempt at seeing how all this works.  What is interesting is that Preview *does* see the GPS coords and iPhoto does not, so I am not exactly sure what is going on.

Do I have to have a file "selected" when I use the camera setup option?  I found no effect when I changed the clock setting while the files were showing in HoudahGeo.  It only changed when I exported them
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The Camera Setup settings apply to the whole projects. Timestamps displayed for your images will update as you adjust those settings. A notable exception is made for photos whose metadata already contain a time zone value. Those are not affected by Camera Setup settings.

If Preview can see the GPS tags, iPhoto should see them too. iPhoto however only sees tags added before the images was imported into the library. iPhoto reads metadata only upon import. It will not see any changes made later on.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KeithB
This was strictly an iPhoto 09 issue, but I thought I should post my solution here for completeness:

Under Advanced Preferences there is an option about "When to Check for Places" - or something like that. It has two options, "Never" and "Automatically".

Mine was set to "Never", switching to "Automatically" fixed the problem with the pictures I had already imported. Strangely enough, the pictures in the trash showed up, too!

Thanks for the help.

0 0