Clicky

dbronson
Hi. I bought HoudahSpot for one station here at my company, and I like it quite a bit, but it only does half the job I thought it would. I have a large archive of PDF files and JPEG images. The JPEGs are all thoroughly tagged with IPTC caption data. Apple's spotlight interface finds exactly the needed photos very quickly, whereas HS finds almost nothing, and I can't find a way to make it do what I want. HS is vastly preferable for PDF searching, though, so now my users are faced with using two different interfaces for two different types of files. I'd rather they just use HS. Am I missing something obvious, or is this a capability that's planned for a future release?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You need to figure out which Spotlight attribute the IPTC tag was matched to. The easiest way to do so is to look at a tagged JPEG file using HoudahSpot's inspector.

Once you figure out the name of the attribute you may use it as a query criterion.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
dbronson
OK, so it seems as if the "Description" field is the key to that, but not the whole story. Using this finds a subset of what Apple's interface finds. If I add a few more fields, like file name, then I get much closer to the mark.

So my next question becomes, how can I search multiple fields for the same text without having to type it repeatedly? For example, what if I want to search Description, Name, Subject, Comment, and Headline for the words "hotel" or "fire" without having to type the words in exactly the same way five times?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

There currently is no way to do exactly that.

What I am currently experimenting with is a "copy criterion value down" feature. I am as of yet not sure if this will be a viable solution.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
dbronson
Yeah - I can see where the interface would start to get tricky in this case. I'll gladly wait. Searching the 'Description' field has me about 75% of the way there!
0 0