Clicky

photoman72
Hello and good day,

I'm trying to not only research an ongoing issue but also possibly thin down my collection of photos. On my first search result, it shows all photos which was great however I want to exclude photo albums. I tried several ways to do this including file extension with no joy!

I even tried to search to exclude photo albums right off the bat and still have them show up!

Here is what I used to thin down the results.

Kind is not photo album
Kind is JPEG

With these parameters, I still get JPEG files that are located in photo albums!!

What am I doing wrong or missing?

Thanks for any advice!!
0 0
houdah
The criteria in the Refine pane apply to the files you will find. A file cannot be both a JPEG and a photo album. Thus specifying "not photo album" is not necessary once you specified "is JPEG".

You cannot use the Refine pane to add criteria on parent folders containing the files you are looking for. I.e. you cannot say "one of the parent folders is a photo album".

If you know where to look - i.e. have a list of all photo album folders - you can use the Locations pane to search or exclude folders. I am not sure what you mean by "photo album". You may want to exclude your entire Apple Photos library. You can do so by dragging that to the "Exclude Locations" in the Locations pane.

If you don't know the folders you want to exclude, you can still refine your search iteratively. When you come across a search result that is in a photo album folder, grab that folder from the path shown at the bottom of the window and drag-and-drop it to the list of excluded folders on the Locations pane.

If all folders you want to exclude share a common name - e.g. they may all have a name that includes "photo album" - you can use the filter field above the search results to hide results from these folders. Set the filter field to "Exclude" by "Folder Name in Path". Uncheck the "Regular Expression" option and type: photo album.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
photoman72

Thank you for the response. I feel that there is a misunderstanding here so I will try and elaborate. While researching something else, I’ve decided to look through the system for any duplicate photos and do some housekeeping. 

When I started the search for all JPEG files, it is seeing the ones in the photoalbum files that Photos app generates. So I was wanting to exclude those files just to find the photos that are NOT in a Photos app photoalbum. Unfortunately using your method of excluding folders will exclude a folder that HAS photos in it that may or may not be duplicates. That is why I need to refine the search to show JPEG files not in a photoalbum file. If they’re in that file, I already know about them and don’t want to accidentally delete them. 

Hopefully that helps clarify what I was attempting to do. 

Again thank you for the response. 

0 0
houdah
I don't know photoalbum file files. Are these folders within your Photos library or folders created by exporting from Photos?

Why don't you add the photoalbum folders to the list of Locations to exclude?

0 0
photoman72
They are the resulting file that occurs when you use the Photos app on the Mac. They are treated as a file. Actually more like a container. If you click on them, it will launch Photos app but you can look inside the container to see the folders in it.

Part of the problem is that the photoalbum file is treated as a file but it is indexed by Spotlight hence when a search is performed, it looks inside this file/container and then displays the results within as well as the rest of the files found within the area being searched.

The program HoudaSpot HAS the photo album as part of it's parameters but it is ineffective! I also cannot use what you keep on asking me to do because I still think you misunderstand.

I have two photoalbum files inside of a folder called Photos that is created by the MacOS as well as other JPEG files inside of that folder. If I use your suggestion and EXCLUDE the folder, then I will not only exclude the photoalubm files/containers but also any other JPEG files that are in there! So this is why I need to remove the results that occur when the query searches for JPEGS and finds the ones stored in the photoalbum files/containers.

I have a screenshot of a photoalbum file/container that I wish I could send but this message board doesn't allow me to attach it here.
0 0
houdah
Please send the screenshot to support at houdah dot com.

0 0