Clicky

KipV
I have found the item arrangement tool in the Finder to be really helpful. Could that be brought over to HoudahSpot?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Do you mean View > Arrange By?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KipV
Yes, I mean view > arrange by. I just realized you sort of have this feature in HS. I usually access the menu via the toolbar in the Finder so I didn't notice it under the view menu in HS. It would be kind of nice to have that in the toolbar button as well in HS. Also I like how the Finder splits the different categories apart in order to make it really obvious how the files are being sorted. In HS it is hard to tell that the items have been sorted.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

"Arrange by" is a bit different from sorting.

I HoudahSpot you may sort by any property of your files by clicking the table column header. You can reverse the sort order by clicking again.

"Arrange by" groups similar files. E.g. If you arrange by Kind, all image files are listed in the same group. Sorting would make a difference between PNG, JPEG, GIF, …

Tembo can group files by Kind. This allows it to provide search filters specific to each kind / group.
There currently is no similar feature in HoudahSpot.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
KipV
I think it would be important for HS to have a similar feature. Clicking on the column header is certainly helpful in some cases but I believe the file grouping plays an important role as well. I like the Tembo grouping and how you are able to isolate the files by a particular similarity. Unfortunately Tembo doesn't have many of the advanced grouping features found in HS. Maybe HS could bring in some grouping tips from both the Finder and Tembo? I find that Tembo's single search box to be to limiting for the type of searching that I do but it has some good features that I would like brought across.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I hope to bring over some of Tembo's features to HoudahSpot.
I still don't know how that will work / look.

Thank you for the feedback.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Jono
I too would like to see grouping in HoudahSpot. 

I liked it how Spotlight grouped items in OS X 10.4, so you could collapse parts you didn't want to see (but didn't want to exclude), and also set list view for some parts and icon for others parts (for images).

[spotlight-tiger-01] 
0 0
KipV
@Pierre Adding the Tembo features might be as easy as having Tembo like dividers in HS and then when you click a divider it does just what Tembo does; isolate the file type and replace the main search entry area with different criteria based on the related isolated files. ie. image isolation would have options to filter by jpg, tiff, etc. I don't know if it would have to be that much different then Tembo.

@Jono and @Pierre Collapsing the different sections is an interesting idea. Apple has seemed to move away from the idea of the collapsing  sections to having just one long horizontal section that you scroll through. The advantage of the long horizontal list is that you don't have to keep clicking that "X number more items link" if you don't want to. So actually I would say that the current Finder's view of horizontal scrolling works better then spotlight in 10.4. It allows you to view all the files without leaving the window. I think the best solution would be Finder style horizontal scrolling, with Tembo isolated view, and HS's preset search criteria search boxes. This would be tremendously powerful to have all that in one app.

I can see the advantage of being able to switch between list view and icon view. It would be nice if Tembo let me view a few of the images before I even entered isolation mode. I can see other uses for that as well if I could access icon view I could also play that music file in the spotlight search (without it even needing to open the music app or the quick view window.)

What I would really like to see in Tembo is search tokens. Tembo has all that blank space in front of the search box it would be so helpful to be able to string together a series of tokens like in the Finder. Also the Finder's drop down suggestion box is very helpful in being able to selection a token.
0 0