Clicky

shacker
Hi - The web site and help file both say that HoudaGeo can do KML output. But the application only seems to do KMZ output. So I can only generate output for use in Google Earth, not in Google Maps.

Am I missing another export button somewhere, or is that a typo on the site and in the docs?

Thanks.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

KMZ actually is a zipped folder containing both a KML and the referenced photos.

The catch is that you need a place to actually store the photos that are referenced from the KML file. If you happen to have a web server where you can upload the photos, you may extract the KML from the KMZ file and replace the image references by their URLs on your sever.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
shacker
Ah, now I understand the process better. So KMZ files actually can be displayed in GM. Neat. OK, so what I get is this (sample output) . I can see that I need to trim my track file better before starting - lots of extraneous data there. But in addition, here's what I'd like to be different about that display:

• Remove the bounding box
  • Pre-zoom the map to the area I want
  • A way to link to the full-size version of the image (this method only gives the tiny thumbnail and the somewhat larger but still small version in the balloon).
What I had in mind was more like this.

With that KML-based method, I would envision that the KML output dialog would prompt you for the base URL on one's own server where the images would live. It would be nice (but not necessary) if Houda would also generate the image thumbnails during  output.

I suppose much of this could be accomplished by unpacking the .kmz and hand-editing it after Houda generates it, but am envisioning some kind of "full service" output dialog that will enable these kinds of options during output.

But I'm brand new to this - any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback.

Indeed, much can be done by hand-modifying. E.g. replace the images with larger ones.

I do actually plan to add a KML output option. The catch is that this may be confusing for users who don't have their own server. I need to give it some more thought.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
shacker
Well, the help file could define the differences between using KML and KMZ, and the dialog could just say next to the option "Requires access to your own web server" or similar. Shouldn't be too confusing.

Anyway, thanks for the tool and for the feedback. I'll go register it now
Looking forward to future updates.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have given it some more thought and put it on the to-do list for HoudahGeo 1.4. No promises though. The feature addition might get delayed by a version or so.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
shacker
Cool! As long as I'm logging future feature requests, another neat one would be the ability to exclude chunks from gpx track files (or can you recommend a good tool for editing track files - I've been looking around but haven't found anything better than TextMate for this yet).
0 0
shacker
Just discovered another reason to support KML - When you try to reference a KMZ from within Google Maps that's larger than 2MB, GM throws a "too large" error.
0 0
houdah
Tracks:

HoudahGeo should only include relevant tracks in the KMZ file. I.e. tracks that take you from one photo to the next. Do you see "excess" tracks being recorded?

KML:

Yes, I know about that one. I gave KMZ a preference over KML as it is self-contained: one can easily pass around both the KML and the photos. I have always planned to add plain KML at some later point in time.

BTW: feedback, feature requests and bug reports are always most welcome. That's what drives the development.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0