Clicky

SundayEdition
I'm using LR 2 on OS X 10.5.6. I have a mix of RAW, DNG, and TIFF files that I wanted to tag. The DNG and RAW files work fine. The TIFF files that I've previously run through Photomatix Pro seem to move the data to an XMP-exif field. I've tried running the TIFF files back through HoudahGeo but the GPS data isn't showing up to where I can pull it into LR, however. Even writing the XMP sidecar doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if this is a HoudahGeo issue so much as it is a LR issue, but I've been able to use Geotagger to write the GPS data. to the files within LR.

I've tried doing the "Read Metadata" menu option and it doesn't seem to load the data in LR. It's almost like HoudahGeo isn't able to overwrite the existing EXIF data. There are no permissions problems. HoudahGeo creates the XMP files just fine but leaves the EXIF info (after running through Photomatix) alone and for some strange reason LR isn't picking it up. Viewing the actual EXIF data it seems as though Photomatix Pro puts the data into a field XMP-exif. After I run a file through Geotagger the info is in 2 fields, GPS and Composite.

Not necessarily a HoudahGeo issue overall, except for the part maybe where I wonder why won't it overwrite the EXIF info from these images? If you want I can send you a TIFF file that I've run through Photomatix.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Yes, please email me a sample file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
akseez
I'm having this same problem with importing TIF files into Lightroom that have been run through Photomatix.
I just emailed a sample file to your support email address.

- Jason

0 0
houdah
Hi Jason,

I have just tested HoudahGeo with the image you have emailed me. I saw no problem. HoudahGeo wrote GPS data fine and was able to read it back out later on.

Does the file have a XMP sidecar on your system?

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
akseez
I do have an XMP sidecar with that file. I deleted the sidecar and tried again, same problem. I also copied the TIFF file by itself to another folder and tried it, same problem.

Since this morning I've been able to successfully tag a different TIFF that was also processed through Photomatix without a problem, but I was unsuccessful in geotagging a TIFF file that was simply as scanned photo.

Any ideas what may be the cause of this?

Thanks.

- Jason

0 0
houdah
Hi!

What is the exact problem?

Does HoudahGeo report an error?

What happens if you drag a geocoded image into another HoudahGeo project? Does it show the coordinates?

Does Lightroom fail to see GPS tags?

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
akseez
From within HoudahGeo everything appears to go fine, no errors, etc. But neither Lightroom or Preview sees the coordinate data.

If I drag the TIFF file into a new HoudahGeo project it populates the data only if the XMP sidecar is present. If I delete the sidecar and try again with the TIFF file it doesn't populate the coordinate data.

I just figured out that if I geotag the TIFF file without also generating a XMP sidecar file it geocodes the original file correctly. I then went and checked some of my CR2 files that I've previously geotagged. The ones that I didn't generate a sidecar file from HoudahGeo had the coordinate data within the original file. The CR2 files I set HoudahGeo to both tag the original file as well as write a XMP sidecar only wrote the data to the sidecar and not in the original CR2 file.

Is this correct behavior?
What I want is to both embed the coordinate data into the original image files as well as create/update their respective XMP sidecar files. Is this possible?

Thanks.

- Jason

0 0
houdah
Hi!

When present, the XMP sidecar takes precedence over the image file. The very idea of an XMP sidecar is not to modify the actual image file.

When HoudahGeo detects the presence of a sidecar, it will always write to the sidecar. This is intended behavior.

If you wish to write to both the image file and the sidecar, I suggest you run through EXIF/XMP export twice. Between both passes, you should move the XMP sidecar out of the way. Later on you may restore it to its original location.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0