Clicky

MindStorm
Just bought HG tonight and used it for the first time on a photo shoot we did this afternoon.  HG seemed to work flawlessly, but I have a question.

I imported the photos into Lightroom 2 as DNG.  I then pointed HG at the folder with those DNG folders and told it to import those.  I next connected my Wintec via Bluetooth and told HG to use it, which worked fine.  Last I told HG to export the EXIF to the original files (this was a junk test shoot for trying out a new Canon 5D MK II and new lens, so no real loss if HG messed them up).

I next went to Lightroom to see if I could see the data.  Nope.  There is no lat/lon/alt indicator, and the city/state/etc stuff was not filled out.

So...

1) How do I see the lat / lon / alt data in Lightroom
2) Is there a cache problem where my workflow above does not work properly?
3) Is there an easy way to get the EXIF to show city / state, etc based on the lat / lon?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for your business.

You need to perform Metadata -> Read Metadata from File in Lightroom to see new metadata added by HoudahGeo.

HoudahGeo has a reverse geocoding feature to determine city, province and country information for geocoded photos.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
MindStorm
Works like a charm - thanks!

Two related suggestions for HG though.

1) I would like to be able to see columns showing the city/state/country info in the image window. That way I would know if anything is wonky before exporting to my original images.

2) I would like to see a preference to "always obtain city/state/country when geocoding."  IOW, make the 'reverse geocode' automatic.  Obviously you would need to set the source of reverse geocode in the pref to support this too.

3) I'll toss in a third.  I had no idea what 'reverse geocode' meant until you referred to it here.  I would suggest something more along the line of "obtain city & state information" for a menu title on this feature.  I suspect more people would understand that.

Thanks again. Great program!

BTW, I first learned of you guys at MacWorld Expo in January.  I was between cameras, having sold my Canon 5D, but my 5D MKII had not arrived, so I saved Pierre's card, and checked it once my camera arrived.

PS: Interesting that your spell check on this site doesn't know the word 'geocoding'... :-)

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback.

You may add columns to the project window using the View -> Columns menu. You may also use the inspector window to view details about an image.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
MindStorm
Duh... I feel kind of stupid overlooking that one...

Oddly, that brought up another question though -- in fact the one I feared and wanted those columns for.

This entire shot was done in a bird refuge that covers about 100 acres.  Pretty small area.  Looking at the lat/lon I see the lat varying from 38.002 to 37.922 (0.08 range) and lon from -122.611 to -122.668 (0.06 range), which looks about right.

When I use Google Earth to reverse geotag them, I find that the first few were in Fairfax (a town to the north), 5 were then nowhere (no town listed), one in Bolinas (a town to the south), and the last 6 were in Stinson Beach (another town to the south).

Is this typical when shooting in country areas outside cities?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Reverse geocoding is left entirely to the respective web services: Google Maps and GeoNames.org

Quality of those services varies with coverage area. In some areas one produces better results, in another area the other service may come up with better results, ...

I can only recommend you try both and go with the results you like best. If you find the results for one of your photos to apply to the whole batch, I would suggest you copy it manually to the other images.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
MindStorm
Sounds reasonable.

thanks for your excellent support on this forum!  I just got off the phone with my brother-in-law.  He called from something else, but while we were on the phone, he ordered a Wintec and will be buying HG too.

0 0
houdah
Thanks a lot. Very much appreciated.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0