Clicky

luis
This is IMO a very important functionality that improves productivity a lot especially if you have many tags (which is the whole purpose of using tags instead of directories to store documents....)

If we look for documents with TAG-A then we should be able to see in the set of TAG-A documents which other tags are covered eg TAG-C, TAG-D, TAG-X to be able to select better

An example
I am looking for WhitePapers.... 
then for all WhitePapers displayed I could see that there are Docs marked as Analysts, other as Strategy etc....

Like this I do not have to remember what tags are out there to refine the list

Asking for an implementation of this... eg as is available in LEAP....

thanks
0 0
houdah
If I understand correctly, you are looking for a "tag cloud": a list of tags found in the current search results or selection that you can use to further refine the search. Typically tag clouds also show the relative frequency of tags. E.g. by showing a count, or displaying tags in different sizes or colors.

HoudahSpot does not have that exact feature. It does have two features that can be used to a similar effect.

1. Filtering

When you select a file in search results, the Info pane in HoudahSpot will list all tags that file has. Look for the list at the very bottom of the Info pane. You will see the WhitePaper tag you searched for, as well as the Analysts tag. Tick the checkbox next to Analysts. HoudahSpot will filter the current search results to show only files that have the Analysts tag.

2. Refine by drag-and-drop

You can drag tags from the Info pane to the Refine pane to add new search criteria. The search will start over with the new criteria. This works with both the tags listed at the bottom of the Info pane and the colored tags shown near the top of the Info pane. The advantage of this approach is that you can nest the new criteria in groups. E.g. to exclude files by tags.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
luis
Hi
thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the 2 options you mentioned are not real solutions :-(... 

the first one is not what is needed... I don't want to select a file... what we need in searches and research is to refine a set... so I don't want to select a file.. I want to reduce a set of eg 50 docs - in my example:
Dokuments that are "White Papers", from "Analysts", in the "Health Care" industry...

--> so I do not select a file... I select additional Tags

The second option is also not what is needed... as mentioned if I have 10 Tags its ok... but if I have 40 Tags eg describing Industries and Strategies and so on... I might drag Tags that are not part of the SubSet... eg 
WhitePapers, Analysts have docs with additional tags in HealthCare and Retail... but not Automotive...
The Automotive Tag exists ...and so I can drag it... but is not the purpose.....

Please see how LEAP has implemented it... it is a very very useful function
0 0
houdah
Thank you for the feedback. I have noted the feature request and I am glad to have details on how you and other customers plan to use the feature. This knowledge will eventually help with design and implementation.

I do believe the suggested ways of working - though not a perfect match - can help you with your search. Do give this a try.

The reasoning is as follows. You search for WhitePapers, get (too) many matches. As you browse the results you come across an Analysts and figure this is the direction you want to go. You tick the checkbox to filter results and have fewer to browse. Next you come across HealtCare. You repeat the process.

This is essentially the same thing as you planned on doing. The difference and admitted drawback is that you need to browse the files to discover other tags. With a "tag cloud" you would have had a list of tags to pick from.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
luis
thanks 
<<The difference and admitted drawback is that you need to browse the files to discover other tags. With a "tag cloud" you would have had a list of tags to pick from.
>>
exactly - you nailed it! with the "tag cloud" I don't need to browse files and see if perhaps I have browsed enough of them... 
As mentioned: for anyone that has chosen Tags instead of Directories (and I do believe this is the correct approach - eg also for Mail... like Google does...) the "tag cloud" would be awesome and essential

Thanks again for your kind help and discussion!

Luis
0 0