Clicky

Gandalf
Hi, 
I've questions/problems with geotagged Photos.
My workflow is as follows:
I'm using Mac Photos, here are all my photos saved. I've geotagged some photos with HoudahGeo by using the Photos Library. 
After Geotagging the Fotos the result looks well, the images in Mac Photos have a location set, when I'm exporting a "unprocessed original" to the file system and checked the information, the GPS date is set.
But if I checked the same Picture in my iPhone with the app "Metapho#, as I already mentioned, I'm using iCloud Photos, the file is not geotagged.
There is a Waring "The location is assigned, but the file does not have geotag"
I'm confused, I thought the file should be geotagged.
I made an other check:
I sent the same file out of mac photos via Aidrop to my iPhone --> Result no geotag
A further check:
I sent the exported, unprocessed original (from below) via Airdrop to my iPhone --> Result, there is a geotag.

So I'm confused. Why aren't the geotag in all files?

regards 
Christian
0 0
houdah
You have run into an unfortunate limitation of iCloud Photos: it does not actually sync original files to the cloud. It only uploads the files once. After that changes made to the files on one device exit only on that device.

This is the reason why we recommend that users of iCloud Photos geotag their photos before adding these to their Apple Photos library. This ensures that it is the geotagged versions of the files that get uploaded to iCloud.

For this purpose HoudahGeo includes an option to download photos from a camera or memory card. One possible workflow is to use that feature to copy the files from the camera to the Mac, geotag the files, and then import the tagged files into the Photos application.

As for exporting files from Photos: different ways of exporting files have different options for including or stripping location information. Back in 2015 we had a blog post about this. Things may have changed a little since then.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Gandalf
Thanks for the answer, does this mean, when I'm deactivating iCloud Fotos, geotagging the images in mac Photos with HoudahGeo and after finishing that, activating iCloud Photos again, the Images will have geotagged in iCloud Fotos and in my iPhone also?
0 0
houdah
That does not sound very prudent. I don’t know what Apple Photos does when you deactivate iCloud Photos. It may work as you describe or not.

You could try disconnecting from the Internet while you import and geotag photos. Apple Photos will only get a chance to upload photos to the cloud once you are done and reconnect to the Internet. You will however not have access to maps and other Internet services while offline.

I recommend you use HoudahGeo or Apple’s Image Capture application to copy photos from your camera. Geotag the files and only then add these to Apple Photos. This also has the advantages of Apple Photos reading the geotags from the image files. No need to “notify” the Photos application after geotagging.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Gandalf
The problem is, I have thousands of existing Photos from the past, some taken with Digicams without GPS Modul, and some are digitised from analog pictures or slides. They are already in Mac Photos.
For new Photos, I don't have that Problem The Photos taken by iPhone and my current DSLM are already Geotagged. 

I testet my theory with deactivating iCloud geotagging with HoudahGeo and Activating after that with a second Apple Account, and it seems to work.
I can't do that with my main Account, because I have thousands of images, it lasts about two weeks to upload them again to iCloud. 
I thing to geotag my existing images will be a job for long cold winter evenings 😂😂
0 0