Clicky

Nexus
I am a pretty new user for HoudahSpot and have try the new version.
I really like it with all searching methods. But I really miss one thing that I am searching after in a long time in a searching software like Houdahspot.
And that is a possibility to highlight the text content you are searching after.
Maybe you can implement this in the preview window or have a sidebar preview window with search functions like find next, see how much words that is highlighted in the preview window etc.

So please developers. Is it possible to create this function?
It is so few application who handle this with previewing the text and this is perfect for searching through file formats like htm, code files, word files and many many more...

I really appreciate to hear feedback from the developer(s) about this!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot relies on QuickLook for previews. This API however is not yet documented by Apple. So far, I could find no way of making QuickLook highlight text.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Gerben
This software seems to do what you want:

[URL=http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22855/spotinside]Spotinside[/URL]

I would love to have a preview option in HS as well although I realise that is a big feature request.

Gerben
0 0
LingoJango
I have the same need.

Houdahspot seems to be able to highlight some text in text preview mode, but it's patchy. My last few searches have shown nothing at all in text preview - for documents that are full of text.

I've just downloaded SpotInside but it doesn't give me a preview of the Excel files found (though it claims it does!).

Help!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot's Text Preview feature highlights words you searched for.

The top bar of the Text Preview window shows the words that HoudahSpot was able to extract out of your search criteria. These words are highlighted in the text. You may modify these to update the highlights.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
LingoJango
Hello Pierre,

Thanks for your reply.

HoudahSpot is mostly failing to give me a text preview of my Excel files and occasionally failing to highlight the searched-for text in other file formats. Text preview with highlighting in Excel files is my chief reason to try Houdahspot, so if HoudahSpot doesn't work for Excel I won't buy it.

I may well end up installing X1 under Windows in Parallels, but it seems quite a waste.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot's Text Preview feature calls upon Spotlight plug-ins. I.e. for your Excel files it will call the plug-in provided by Microsoft. HoudahSpot should thus see the same text contents as the Spotlight engine does.

If you find a file for which HoudahSpot shows no text preview, could you please try the following in Terminal.app:

mdimport -d4 "/path/to/your/File.ext"

This will show the metadata seen by Spotlight. Does it include text contents?

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
LingoJango
Curiouser and curiouser.

No, the text contents are not included. What I've found is this:

[QUOTE]
(Debug) Import: file:/Users/LingoJango/Dropbox/Glossaris/myfile.xls plugin:file://localhost/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft%20Office.mdimporter/ /Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter
2012-11-14 10:12:02.865 mdimport[476:707] Error loading /Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office:  dlopen(/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office: mach-o, but wrong architecture
2012-11-14 10:12:02.866 mdimport[476:707] Cannot find function pointer OfficeImporterPluginFactory for factory BFA4E323-1889-11D9-82C8-000A959816BE in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fd854001ad0 </Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)
(Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file://localhost/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft%20Office.mdimporter/'
(Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file://localhost/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft%20Office.mdimporter/
2012-11-14 10:12:02.867 mdimport[476:707] Imported '/Users/LingoJango/Dropbox/Glossaris/myfile.xls' of type 'com.microsoft.excel.xls' with plugIn /Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter.
[/QUOTE]

How do I get the right plugin? I should perhaps point out that I'm working with LibreOffice on the Mac and I have Microsoft Office 2010 installed on Win 7 under Parallels. Does the plugin have to come from MS proprietary software or can it be obtained in a different way?

Thanks for the help so far - at least we've pinpointed the problem.

0 0
LingoJango
Another interesting point is that, despite Spotlight not "seeing" the text in the Excel file according to Terminal, it and Houdah actually do find the file because it contains the text I'm searching for. So *something* is seeing it. And QuickView and Preview work fine on Excel sheets, and worked fine before I installed MS Office 2010 under Parallels.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I don't know if there are any third party Excel Spotlight importers.

The ones provided by Microsoft are now installed within the Excel.app application bundle.
The one you have in Library/Spotlight is either an older version or a third party product.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
dr
I've just downloaded the program, and it would be absolutely perfect for me if the Text Preview worked with Excel files, but all I get is a blank screen. Actually, some Word files (doc and docx) also show up blank, while others do indeed provide a text preview with the search items highlighted.

I never want to open up the files I find. I only want to see the search terms highlighted in the text in the preview screen for DOC and XLS files. Is there anyway this could be make to work?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot text preview relies on the Spotlight importer to extract text from the file. The Spotlight importers to handle Excel and Word files are installed with the respective applications.

Please try the following in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

1. Type "mdimport -d4 ". Without the quotes. But with the trailing space
2. Drag your Excel file from Finder to the Terminal window. Terminal add the file path to the above command
3. Hit Return / Enter

This will have Spotlight re-import the file and output a lot of debugging information to the Terminal window.
To the top of that output you will find which importer plug-in was used.
Towards the bottom you will see all metadata the plug-in extracted from the file.
There should be a value for kMDItemTextContent. This is the text that will be indexed by Spotlight. It is also the text that HoudahSpot will show in the Text Preview window.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0