Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
FritzB001

Hi,

I read all post regarding this topic (indexing and so on) but I feel a bit lost. Maybe I am to stupid [crazy]

Perhaps someone can help:
- I want to search external drives that are "connected" via CloudMounter
- as there are:
* Dropbox-Accounts
* Volumes that are on my Synology-NAS

For example: 
In CloudMounter I mount https://(DnyDNS)/home/CloudStation/Private, that appears in the finder as /Users/FritzB/Library/Containers/com.eltima.cloudmounter.mas/Data/.CMVolumes/Private

What can I do to get those files on Volume "Private" indexed? The files are shown now but no information as path and so on... 

Cheers from germany

Fritz
houdah

HoudahSpot searches the Spotlight index. Thus you "just" need to get Spotlight to index your mounted volume.

I don't know CloudMounter / CloudStation. I recommend to contact the vendor and ask about Spotlight indexing.

What I notice is that the drive is mounted in a rather private location. The intend may be to keep it away from Spotlight.

Also: Spotlight needs to read the files in order to index them. I.e. it needs to pull the files from the cloud. Cloud mounting software might have a different idea: pretend the file is there, but only actually download it when you try to access the file.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
FritzB001

Thanks for your fast reply.

I am still a bit lost :-) How can I tell my MacBook air to index (e.g.) my mounted /Users/FritzB/Library/Containers/com.eltima.cloudmounter.mas/Data/.CMVolumes/Private ?
(btw. "private" was just a wildcard... could have been "athome" also).

How can I index files that are on my Synology NAS?
FritzB001

Thanks for your fast reply.

I am still a bit lost... how do I get Spotlight to index my "/Users/FritzB/Library/Containers/com.eltima.cloudmounter.mas/Data/.CMVolumes/Private"?

("private" is just a wildcard; could have been "athome" or something like this also).

How do I get Spotlight to index my Synology NAS?
houdah

What made me think this location is "private" was not the word private, but the fact that the mount point is in a container and there in an invisible folder (name prefixed with a period). It _could_ be the intend of the CloudMounter software to hide this from Spotlight. The reason for this _could_ be that the files are not actually available, but only downloaded on demand.

Then again, I really don't know how CloudMounter works. You should ask its developer about Spotlight indexing.

You can check if Spotlight sees this as a volume. If so you can try enabling indexing using mdutil and mdimport commands in Terminal.app

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
2. Paste in the following line and press return:

mdutil -s -a

3. The command will answer with a list of volumes and whether indexing is enabled. For example:

/:
Indexing enabled.

4. If you see you cloud mounter volume there, copy its path and use it in the command below to enable indexing. Copy the command. Correct the path. Press return:

mdutil -i on "/Users/FritzB/Library/Containers/com.eltima.cloudmounter.mas/Data/.CMVolumes/Private"

5. Check again using "mdutil -s -a". It may not be possible to turn on indexing. 

6. Wait a couple hours

7. If indexing is on, and search is still not working, you can try to force indexing to start using the following command:

mdimport "/Users/FritzB/Library/Containers/com.eltima.cloudmounter.mas/Data/.CMVolumes/Private"

FritzB001

Using "mdutil -s -a" I get

/:

Indexing enabled. 

/.MobileBackups:

No index.

Followed by the CloudMounter mounted drives.

I then tried both alternatives but I get "Error: unknown indexing state."

houdah

Sorry I can't help any further. The behavior you are seeing is probably specific to CloudMounter. I suggest you ask their support about Spotlight indexing.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.