Clicky

camner
First, let me thank you profusely for a great product (just registered...).  The change in Spotlight functionality between Tiger and Leopard was terrible for me.  The default Spotlight search now is to search content and files names, ordered by "last opened" date, with applications and system files excluded.  Houdahspot allows me to have just the kind of default search I want...

Since I want HS to be running always (and at startup), and is accessible from the menu bar, I'd love to be able to have HS NOT show up in the Dock all the time, since it just takes up valuable Dock real estate.  Is this possible?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

The HoudahSpot global menu, global shortcuts and BlitzSearch features are managed by a hidden helper application. They do not require HoudahSpot to keep running.

I suggest you check the preference for the global menu (i.e. the helper application) to launch at login.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Ward
I'm reviving this thread because I'd like a user preference for HoudahSpot to run in background mode so that it does [B]not[/B] appear in my Dock or Command-Tab list of active apps.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The recommended setup is to keep only the HoudahSpot Helper running. Thus HoudahSpot is available through a hot key without cluttering your Dock.

You may also modify the value of the LSUIElement entry in the HoudahSpot.app Info.plist file. With this you will be able to have HoudahSpot running without being listed in the Dock.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Ward
[QUOTE=houdah]Hi! The recommended setup is to keep only the HoudahSpot Helper running. Thus HoudahSpot is available through a hot key without cluttering your Dock.[/QUOTE]
I've done that. I have a hot key to "Bring HoudahSpot to the front," which launches HoudahSpot if it's not running. Once running, HoudahSpot appears in the Dock. So, ...

[QUOTE=houdah]You may also modify the value of the LSUIElement entry in the HoudahSpot.app Info.plist file. With this you will be able to have HoudahSpot running without being listed in the Dock.[/QUOTE]
I toggled that option in the Xcode Property List Editor (where it's shown as "Application is agent (UIElement)"). My HoudahSpot is now running in full background mode.

The only downside is HoudahSpot no longer has a menu bar, although keyboard shortcuts for menu items still work.

I'll run in full background mode for a while to see if I can live without the menu bar.

-- Ward
0 0