Clicky

smfp4
About four months back, I moved my main iPhoto library to an external disk.   The iPhoto library that automatically appears in Houdah Geo Version 4.0.1 (9400) seems to be the library I had 4 months ago.  Whether that is true, I don't know, but in any case the iPhoto library automatically shown in Houdah Geo is definitely not the most recent and it is not updating when new photos are added.  Photographs added during the last four months (roughly a 1,000) do not appear automatically in iPhoto in Houdah Geo.    

I can find and load new photos in my most recent iPhoto library when clicking on "Add Images".  I can then successfully upload tracks from my GPS and the Lat. and Long. readings appear to write to the related images during the "Process" stage.  However, when I then switch to "Output" and try and Notify iPhoto, I then get a message stating "No images to process".  I am not sure what is going on, but in any case, I am unable to successfully write the Lat. and Long. metadata information back to the images in iPhoto.  How do I solve this problem?  

Thanks!   
0 0
houdah
Hi!

When you "notify iPhoto", HoudahGeo relies on information gathered when you dragged the image in from the media browser in "Load" mode. If you added the image by other means, HoudahGeo will not know it is managed by iPhoto and report "No images to process".

Please make sure that the iPhoto library you want to work with is currently being used by iPhoto. If that is not the case use the iPhoto menu item File > Switch Library… to select the library.

HoudahGeo reads the com.apple.iApps.plist preferences file to find your iPhoto library. To view the contents of that file:

1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
2. Paste in the following line:

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iApps.plist

3. Hit return

HoudahGeo reads the values for iPhotoRecentDatabases. Your should see your iPhoto library listed there. The entry should end with AlbumData.xml. For example:

iPhotoRecentDatabases = Array {
        file:///Users/pierre/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library.photolibrary/AlbumData.xml
    }

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
smfp4
Thanks for your reply, but the problem remains.    

The iPhoto library I want to work with is presently running in iPhoto.  That is not the issue.  The issue appears to be that Houdah Geo is not finding that particular library.  Perhaps it is finding an old library that I retained as a backup when building my new iPhoto library - but I don't really know.  I can't tell which library Houdah Geo is using.  How can I verify that?  

Here is what appears in Terminal:  

Last login: Fri Mar  6 09:49:42 on console

Ying2nPauls-iMac:~ Paul G5$ /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iApps.plist

Dict {

iPhotoAutoImportPath = /Volumes/External iPhoto and iTunes Storage/Shared iPhoto Library/iPhoto Library (New).photolibrary/Auto Import

file:///Volumes/External%20iPhoto%20and%20iTunes%20Storage/Shared%20iPhoto%20Library/iPhoto%20Library%20(New).photolibrary/AlbumData.xml

}

iMovie = Dict {

iLMBArtworkHints = Dict {

eventBrowserCalendarIcon = Contents/Resources/icon-calendar.tif

eventIcon = Contents/Resources/icon-event.tif

projectIcon = Contents/Resources/icon-project.tif

}

dateSortReverse = true

}

AskAboutUpgrades = Dict {

6.0 = Mon Feb 13 08:13:33 HKT 2006

11.0 = Thu Jul 19 22:50:30 HKT 2012

}

iTunesRecentDatabases = Array {

file:///Volumes/External%20iPhoto%20and%20iTunes%20Storage/iTunes/iTunes%20Library.xml

}

iPhotoLastOpenedDatabase = file:///Volumes/External%20iPhoto%20and%20iTunes%20Storage/Shared%20iPhoto%20Library/iPhoto%20Library%20(New).photolibrary/AlbumData.xml

iTunesRecentDatabasePaths = Array {

/Volumes/External iPhoto and iTunes Storage/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml

}

}

Ying2nPauls-iMac:~ Paul G5$ 

The plist appears to be pointing to my correct and current iPhoto library - but why does the iPhoto library that automatically appears in Houdah Geo NOT show the present version of this library.  The iPhoto library that automatically pops up in Houdah Geo appears to be 4 months out of date.  Why is that?  Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks, Paul 
0 0
houdah
Hi Paul,

HoudahGeo should read from "/Volumes/External iPhoto and iTunes Storage/Shared iPhoto Library/iPhoto Library (New).photolibrary/AlbumData.xml"

Please verify that that file is up to date. Check its modification date. iPhoto should update that file whenever you add an image to your library.

To access the file, go to "/Volumes/External iPhoto and iTunes Storage/Shared iPhoto Library/". Then right-click (or control-click) the "iPhoto Library (New).photolibrary" file and select "Show Package Contents" from the context menu.

If the AlbumData.xml file is out of date, quit iPhoto and the delete or rename the AlbumData.xml file. Relaunch iPhoto. It will create a fresh AlbumData.xml file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
smfp4
Thanks.  Hopefully we are getting closer, but the problem remains unsolved.  I deleted the AlbumData.xml file.  It was slightly out of date.  Unfortunately, the AlbumData.xml file did not rebuild when I restarted iPhoto.  

Here's a screen shot of the "Show Package Contents" before deletion:  

Voila_Capture 2015-03-06_06-09-02_PM.jpg 

Here is a screen shot after deletion:  

Voila_Capture 2015-03-06_06-32-58_PM.jpg 

Here is a screen shot showing Houdah Geo no longer automatically loads iPhoto:  

Voila_Capture 2015-03-06_06-31-30_PM.jpg 

Suggestions?  How can I get iPhoto to create a fresh AlbumData.xml file?  I've shut down the computer and restarted.  No change.  I have no problem accessing all of my photographs in iPhoto.  I just can access them now in Houdah Geo.  If I go to "Load", I can see the iPhoto library.  The icon is dimmed to show it is there but I can not open it in Houdah Geo.  

Thanks, Paul 
0 0
houdah
Hi!

This library appears to be shared by iPhoto and Aperture. The ApertureData.xml file is the Aperture equivalent of iPhoto's AlbumData.xml file.

Please check if iPhotoRecentDatabases in com.apple.iApps.plist still points to AlbumData.xml. If it does, iPhoto should write that file and keep it up-to-date.

Try removing both AlbumData.xml and ApertureData.xml. Maybe iPhoto holds back on creating AlbumData.xml since ApertureData.xml already exists.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
smfp4
Hmmm.  Weird.  I don't have Aperture installed and I never have used the program.  It has never been on my computer.  

Here's the new Terminal:  

Last login: Fri Mar  6 18:22:39 on console

Ying2nPauls-iMac:~ Paul G5$ /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iApps.plist

Dict {

iPhotoAutoImportPath = /Volumes/External iPhoto and iTunes Storage/Shared iPhoto Library/iPhoto Library (New).photolibrary/Auto Import

file:///Volumes/External%20iPhoto%20and%20iTunes%20Storage/Shared%20iPhoto%20Library/iPhoto%20Library%20(New).photolibrary/AlbumData.xml

}

iMovie = Dict {

iLMBArtworkHints = Dict {

eventBrowserCalendarIcon = Contents/Resources/icon-calendar.tif

eventIcon = Contents/Resources/icon-event.tif

projectIcon = Contents/Resources/icon-project.tif

}

dateSortReverse = true

}

AskAboutUpgrades = Dict {

6.0 = Mon Feb 13 08:13:33 HKT 2006

11.0 = Thu Jul 19 22:50:30 HKT 2012

}

iTunesRecentDatabases = Array {

file:///Volumes/External%20iPhoto%20and%20iTunes%20Storage/iTunes/iTunes%20Library.xml

}

iPhotoLastOpenedDatabase = file:///Volumes/External%20iPhoto%20and%20iTunes%20Storage/Shared%20iPhoto%20Library/iPhoto%20Library%20(New).photolibrary/AlbumData.xml

iTunesRecentDatabasePaths = Array {

/Volumes/External iPhoto and iTunes Storage/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml

}

}

Ying2nPauls-iMac:~ Paul G5$ 

As you can see, the plist points to AlbumData.xml.  

I deleted the ApertureData.xml file.  When I re-opened iPhoto it rebuilt ApertureData.xml.  It did NOT rebuild AlbumData.xml.  Thus, when I open Houdah, it is blank.  It does not show an iPhoto library.  Again - I have never used or installed Aperture on my computer.  I don't know why it is building ApertureData.xml and NOT AlbumData.xml.  I am running Yosemite 10.10.2.   iPhoto is version 9.6 (910.29).  

Thanks, Paul 
0 0
houdah
Hi Paul,

That is very weird.

Please use a text editor (e.g. TextMate) to have a look at ApertureData.xml
A file created by iPhoto should start with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Application Version</key>
<string>9.4</string>

Also check the DataModelVersion.plist file inside the Database folder. It should say:
<key>database|isIPhotoLibrary</key>
<true/>

Use Finder Get Info to check the extension of  the iPhoto Library (New) file.
That should be .photolibrary. For Aperture it would be .aplibrary

Please try restarting your Mac and then check com.apple.iApps.plist again. Recent versions of Mac OS X cache preferences in memory and write only later. Thus the settings you see in the file may not be the latest ones. Restarting will force OS X to update the file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Please also try using iPhoto to switch to a different library and then switch back.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I just found this discussion: