Clicky

pyarnall

I committed to HoudahGeo today to give me a means on my Mac to tag the large number of images I take on various photo treks.  I was pleasantly surprised at the relative ease of getting images tagged from track files generated by my Garmin  60csx in the context of Adobe LightRoom.

A couple of suggestions.  

The "Inspector" window has a field for Provinces, but not States.  Be nice to get that added.

A 'one click' method to clear - remove projects.  I am not interested in saving "projects".  I have typically a large number of folders that I simply want to geotag and stacking up open project windows only adds to the work effort later to close them.

The time zone drop down list is, well, very annoying.  It needs a scroll bar and it needs to be organized differently.  Very tedious to use.  GMT list does not list half hour changes for example and only one city in Newfoundland is listed.  This could be much better.

Complaints....  related to the time zone issue.  Sometimes referred to as 'time syncing' in similar software.  There appears to be no way to manually set a time offset for use between the image time stamps and a track file.  I have many cases where I have not set the camera to the local time and unlike other software I have used on my Windows machines, there is no way to set an arbitrary offset so the track and images can get synced up properly.

I would be pleased if some one pointed out to me how to do this in HoudahGeo, but I could not find a way.  This is a very necessary feature.  I can't count the number of times I have started shooting in a different time zone and forgetting to set the camera time.  When I use Down Loader Pro on my Win laptop, this is easily accomplished.

I hope HoudahGeo is actively supported and that I can look forward to future improvements.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback.

"Camera Setup" which is available from the menu and automatically presented at the first image you import, allows you to do the required settings.

It allows you to specify which time zone your camera was set to. Even if you forgot to adjust your camera to local time, photos will be geocoded if you set the time zone your camera was actually set to.

Yes, HoudahGeo is actively supported and developed.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
pyarnall

Pierre....  thanks for the quick response.  I tried the Camera setup without success.  I am now taking a look at my track files to get the exact offset required....  could be day light savings time involved, or just that the camera time is off by more than seconds.

Which leads to another suggestion to provide 'advanced', (read "more complicated"), options in the camera setup, like simply being able to enter the offset in hours, minutes, seconds.

In the mean time, after I determine the proper offset can I convert hours, minutes, seconds to total seconds and enter that value?

Thanks

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Track log files are always written using the GMT time zone. There is no need to edit them.

You will however need to figure out what time zone your camera was set to. HoudahGeo uses this information for geocoding. It may also be written during EXIF/XMP export. Cheating on this is asking for trouble and will create corrupted data when exporting the timestamps to EXIF/XMP.

If you know the clock offset for GMT, you may use one of the GMT+x options. If your camera clock was running seconds or minutes slow or fast, you may enter the appropriate clock offset.

You can verify that your setting is correct by looking at the track log inspector. It shows the begin and end times of your track log. The timestamps on your images must fall between those times.

All timestamps within HoudahGeo are displayed using one consistent time zone. This is typically your computer time zone. The display time zone may be selected using the menu in the top right hand corner of the main window.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0