Clicky

mohnid
I geotagged my latest pics with HoudaGeo and then used the 'Inform Aperture' Button to get the coordinates back to Aperture.
They no shop up in Aperture and I can see them located on the Aperture Map.

No I want to reload the same library to use the reverse geocodding option.
After loading the pics there a no coordinates shown in the loader window.

Any Idea what I did wrong ?

I use the latest Aperture and latest HoudahGeo Version

Regards
Daniel
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Aperture stores GPS data in its proprietary database.

That's why I recommend always writing metadata to EXIF/XMP/IPTC tags.
These are open standards and have the metadata always travel with the image files.
I.e. if some day you were to switch to a different photo cataloging application, it would still have access to that data.

The official way to get the data out of Aperture would be to export the images and have Aperture write the metadata to the newly created image file.

The easiest way would probably be to do the geotagging again. Assuming you used a GPS track log.

There also might be a way to get the data from Aperture using AppleScript.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
mohnid

Hi

Thanks for the explanation of the problem.

I assume that writing to exif will also work if the Aperture database is used for storing the pictures.

I just looked at the feature page an there the aperture integration is explained, there is a clear note that informing aperture will only update the places database.

It would be nice if the places database could also be retrieved while loading images from aperture, sometimes I geotag some pics in side aperture.

I tried to export the masters, but exif data is not updated on export :-(
Therefore I will have to retag them, but as I have my garmin tracklogs, this is not a big task...

Regards
Daniel

0 0
chris_ba
Hi!

I have the same problem: not knowing about the awful metadata handling of Aperture for a long time, I have geo-tagged many photos within Aperture (I am using referenced photos). Now, I was hoping that Houdahgeo would be able to access this mysterious "places database" within Aperture and just (re-)write the geo-data to the exif data included within each (referenced) original/master.

I have no gps tracks or similar available - I have just manually geo-tagged a LOT of photos, which information is now only available within the Aperture application leaving the referenced photos untouched.

Is there any workflow I might have overlooked which is supported by Houdahgeo to write the location data from the Aperture places database to each respective original/master photo.

Any advice is welcome!

Cheers,
Chris
0 0
houdah
Hi!

A new HoudahGeo feature for extracting metadata from Aperture is at the top of the todo list.

I however cannot make promises as to when this will become available.
I am actually still exploring several possible techniques for getting to the Aperture data.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
chris_ba
Is there any progress with the Aperture integration @adding GPS Information within Aperture -> photos via Houdah?

Beste,
Chris
0 0
houdah
Hi!

This is on the to-do list for HoudahGeo 3.6.

Currently other projects require immediate attention.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
chris_ba
Hi !

I noticed a new feature with version 3.6; "New feature: Import from iPhoto / Aperture Places
HoudahGeo now imports GPS coordinates of photos managed by iPhoto 9.5 or Aperture 3.5"

Great, I thought and downloaded the trail version v.3.6.2 to test it on a photo. However, somehow I can't figure out how the workflow should be. I did not manage to geo-tag a master photo on the basis of the geo-tagged preview photo stored in the Aperture library. I use referenced (master) photos in Aperture.

Do I have to buy Houdah first to test this feature?

Best
Chris

P.S.: I couldn't find any advice in the manual either. I searched for Import from iPhoto / Aperture Places.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo lists iPhoto and Aperture photos in the sidebar under step 1 / Load.

When you drag a photo from the sidebar into your HoudahGeo project, HoudahGeo should pick up GPS coordinates assigned using iPhoto/Aperture places.
After that you can write these coordinates to EXIF/XMP by using the EXIF/XMP Export feature available in step 3 / Output.

The only limitation of the demo version is that you will only be able to export 5 images at a time.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
chris_ba
Great! Works like a charm!

Going to get your nice piece of software!

Bye,
Chris
0 0