Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
levelbest

I was just revisiting using HS to search an external drive I keep with many movies on it. The found set looks at all MPEG-4 Videos DVDm and QT. I tried using the search field that should be looking at the found set. I was searching for certain tags to quickly grab a film to watch. 

Apparently this is not possible in HS. There is a pop up menu when I click on the search icon of corse, but nowhere in this menu do I see a way to focus on tags.

May I suggest then, in this upcoming release, that it would be very nice if one of the selected options in the "search the found set" menu includes searching tags and spotlight comments as well as names of files.

I am puzzled that this doesn’t seen to work already? Have I missed seeing how this is done, or is this a valid suggestion?
houdah

I believe you are looking at the filter field and menu (i.e. search within results). This supports only filtering by name or path.

In HoudahSpot, you can search by Tags. This is done in the Refine pane. If that is not visible select View > Search > Show Search from the menu

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
levelbest

"I believe you are looking at the filter field and menu (i.e. search within results). This supports only filtering by name or path."

Yes, that is correct. I am looking at the filter field. This is standard Mac behavior. This is what iTunes does. This is what Mail does. This is what Tembo does.

I am very surprised the Pierre has not seen this as a benefit in HoudahSpot? The idea of a filtering menu is correct - as far as it goes. But why is it only for filtering names and paths and not tags and comments in a file? This makes no sense to me.

I know that I can set up a search in HS using the search menu, this is not what I am taking about here.

I know that HS is very good at specifying what will be searched for and what will not be searched for in the search menu. That is why I use HS. The idea of filtering the results is also a sound idea. Sometimes it helps to have a more general search and to use the filter to quickly refine the search result. This idea apparently exists but in name only. 

I use tags and finder comments quite a lot. It isn't just important to search for a file. It is also very important to correctly tag a file and/or write comments in it's spotlight comments field so that you remember why you were searching for the file. 

In the case I mentioned of an external movie collections with so many films, does it really make sense to go through the collection and, each time there is a different tag, to save a specific search template just for that tag? All this will do is clutter up my left hand sidebar with all my other template searches. Filtering the found set is the answer to this. Again, it is implemented in HS, just not all the way implemented.

As we are talking how customers view the beta and what HS is missing, this should certainly qualify.

houdah

You can filter by other properties including tags by using the checkboxes in the bottom section of the Info pane. 

The Info pane shows metadata of the currently selected results. If you have file tagged "Red" selected, tick the checkbox next to the line that says "Red" and your results will be filtered to show only files tagged "Red".

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.