Clicky

bobembry
I've got a search set up on a folder. I'm looking for all files created before tomorrow. The search has be running for 30+ minutes. The progress indicator is still spinning. The search has found 302 items and has been stuck there for 25 minutes. A number of textclippings seem to be missing from the result list.

The Finder Get Info says there are 656 items in the folder. A Finder Find window located 657 items in about 3 minutes.

File Buddy 9 reports 722 items and all of them were created before yesterday. Removing the invisible items resulted in a list of 657.

What do you think is going on?

Thanks

Bob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I unfortunately don't have an explanation ready.

You may want to check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for errors and use Activity Monitor to "Sample Process".

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
bobembry
Besides the error loading input managers and simbl stuff the Console contains:

2/14/09 3:06:26 PM [0x0-0x13b13b].com.houdah.HoudahSpot[2445] HoudahSpot(2445,0xb0103000) malloc: free_garbage: garbage ptr = 0x1027a00, has non-zero refcount = 1
2/14/09 3:06:26 PM [0x0-0x13b13b].com.houdah.HoudahSpot[2445] HoudahSpot(2445,0xb0103000) malloc: free_garbage: garbage ptr = 0x13ba530, has non-zero refcount = 1

I set up a new search similar to the one mentioned above and got the same result: 302 found and search runs without terminating.

2/14/09 3:08:26 PM HoudahSpot[2445] Document.m:2482 Expression(kMDItemFSCreationDate < '256370400'))
2/14/09 3:08:26 PM HoudahSpot[2445] Document.m:2482 Expression(kMDItemFSCreationDate < '256370400'))
2/14/09 3:21:32 PM HoudahSpot[2445] Document.m:2482 Expression(kMDItemFSCreationDate < '256370400'))
2/14/09 3:21:32 PM HoudahSpot[2445] Document.m:2482
Expression(kMDItemFSCreationDate < '256370400'))

I'm attaching a couple of samples from the Activity Monitor.

Then I set up a new search on the same folder for Any of the Following: Alias; Folder; Name ends with "textclipping"; and Content kind is Image. The search found 670 items and the search ended within a few minutes. Seems like there may be a bug in date searches

Thanks

Bob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am afraid I cannot offer any explanation.

I would suggest rebuilding the Spotlight index. Only that does not explain why the Finder is able to complete the search.

If you feel at ease with the command line, you may try the following:

[CODE]
cd YourDirectory
mdfind -onlyin . "kMDItemFSCreationDate < '256370400'"
[/CODE]

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
bobembry
I'm not sure I did the terminal thing right, but nothing happened. Here's the terminal data:

bob-embrys-macbook-pro:~ bobembry$ cd /Users/bobembry/Library/FruitMenu\ Items/db\)Tasks\ and\ applications
bob-embrys-macbook-prob)Tasks and applications bobembry$ mdfind -onlyin . "kMDItemFSCreationDate < '256370400'"
bob-embrys-macbook-prob)Tasks and applications bobembry$

Do you think it would be helpful to do a clean install of the most recent version of HoudahSpot?

Thanks

Bob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The Terminal command was the equivalent of your HoudahSpot search. It should have listed the same 670 files. From the output you posted, it listed none.

Were you in the same directory?

A clean install of HoudahSpot surely can do no harm. I however don't expect it to do any good either.

I'd rather have the machine re-index the drive over night.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
bobembry
Yep, I was in the same directory

Changing the terminal command to:

bob-embrys-macbook-pro:~ bobembry$ mdfind "kMDItemFSCreationDate < '256370400'" -onlyin /Users/bobembry/Library/FruitMenu\ Items/db\)Tasks\ and\ applications

Produced a list of about 680 items
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I just stumbled upon a bug where all files are matched when only a date criterion is specified. Adding another criterion alleviates the problem.

I will see what can be done to fix this.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0