Clicky

levelbest
I have recently started exploring Hook. It’s a very nice idea that allows me to keep all the linked documents together with a single hot key press. This in no way takes anything away from HoudahSpot. Hook does not search. It only hooks together links that you put into it. 

One way I have started to use Hook is to Hook to - link to, a HoudahSpot template or saved search. This is logical as in my project I sometimes have to go to a known HoudaSpot search to look through for research for my current project.

What is nice about using Hook is that, for the most part, the links are bidirectional. That is, what document, file, or web address that I link to in Hook, will also show the originating link in a Hook hot key press in the target linked document. This makes it easy to return to your project.

What I have discovered in HoudaSpot is that, I cannot link to an open HoudahSpot templated search. I can link to any one selected file in that search, but I cannot link to the whole search. I solved this problem by linking to the HoudahSpot template file. This will trigger the HoudaSpot search that I want to tie to my project. However, this will not have a bidirectional Hook menu that will again return me to my project as the running template triggered search cannot be linked to by its self.

Than I got some feedback from another user of Hook. As it turns out, if I save a HoudaSpot as a saved search, and I run that search, deselect the top item, and set my Hook link to that, then I do get a bidirectional search link in my Hook window. 

I am not sure I want to start "saving as" for all the HoudahSpot searches that I want to use with Hook. But I wanted to post this observation here because, I had been thinking that a HoudahSpot saved search and a HoudaSpot template were the same thing. Now I can see that they are different. I am not sure how they are different but in the way I have described in being able to be saved into a bidirectional Hook menu shows, they are definitely different.

Hook Video 

Hook Website

0 0
houdah
I assume that the reason for Hook not getting a backlink is that templates create new documents. Each time you select a template from the menu in HoudahSpot, you get a fresh new search (document) that is modeled after the template. I.e. the template is a stationery pad, prototype, a mold, a factory for new searches.

Once the new search window has been created, Hook will not be able to recognize it as the template you linked to. It is not. It is one of many copies of that template.

Saved searches, on the other hand, are actual documents. Files with a path. Link to the path to find and open the document. Knowing the path, Hook can find its way back to the project.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
levelbest
That explains it, thanks. BTW, what was the reasoning to have templates set up this way instead of just using saved searches as templates? I ask only out of curiosity. I have many times tweaked my templated searches as I refine how I am using them. Each time I do this and I like how the search has become, I save it again as a template, navigate to where the original template was, and say yes, replace it.

I am not sure what the rationale is to have it this way unless you are saying that saving a search will somehow alter the saved search without your wanting that to have occurred. If true, is this why you have it set up this way?
0 0
houdah
Templates and saved searches serve slightly different purposes.

Templates serve as starting points for recurring or similar searches. E.g. you may have to frequently search for video files. Create a new search from your "HD Videos" search template. Pop in a few criteria like name or date and get back results. Need some other videos? Create another search. This time around you may want to search by resolution or frame rate. Had the first search been a saved search, you would have had to clean it up - remove the name and date criteria - before setting out on the new task.

This, I believe, is the more common use case: searches are independent. For each search, you want to start with a clean slate.

Saved searches serve their purpose too. They work like documents. Make changes: add criteria, change sort order, …. Save changes. Return later to continue where you left off. 

0 0
levelbest
That's interesting. I was thinking that is what the default template setting is for? Setting a general search criterial as the default setting already does this. I find that it is much easier to tweak or, to adjust search parameters as I am searching for something.

Saved search or template, I can't see any difference as far as what I am trying to do. If I know I want to collect all files by a certain application no matter where I left them, I can create a saved search for all files set to that applications file type. In fact, I have a template section for this very idea, so that if I lose track of what I named a file but I know the application that I was working in when I last used it, I use HoudahSpot to generate the list according to the apps file type and find the file easily.

If I want to find images according to a certain camera but not other cameras then I set up a search using image, make, and model of the devise (the camera's make and model). This is not something I want to have to do each and every time. This another example of why saving a search or a template is very useful.

Instead of seeing a difference between a saved search and a template, I find that it is far easier to deconstruct a HoudahSpot search than it is to start over from absolute zero every time. You will still start from zero, but you can get there from any existing HoudahSpot search simply by hitting the minus button, resetting the exclusion list if it exists, and reselecting what you want to search for, name of file, any text contains, etc.

I find HoudahSpot to be far more useful when I stay active in it and stay aware of the many ways to make selections and to exclude data in a search to make the search more refined and more powerful. Tembo is the complete opposite. Tembo is also a fine application but Tembo is designed for searching without too much thinking. Not meant as an insult, just saying. HoudahSpot is very interactive to the thinking processes or, the cognitive processes. The more I use it, and the more I continue to remember how to use it in refined ways, the better a tool HoudahSpot becomes in my hands.

Since, at the end of the day, any saved search or template is going to produce exactly the same result, and since, each one can have its outcome tweaked (adjusted, altered) to your hearts content, and since each one can be resaved or, saved as, and then replace the file that opened the search ,,,  I guess I am just not seeing the difference?

0 0
houdah
The default setup (also a template) is meant for everyday tasks. 

The other templates are meant for recurring specialized tasks. E.g. the Apple Mail Messages template is set up with criteria to search by author, recipient, subject, etc. It lists results with author, recipient, and date received. It basically is a specialized tool to search for mail messages. Open the template, fill in the blanks, find the message you are looking for.

You would not want to deconstruct that to get to a point where you can search for photos. Remove the email-specific criteria. Add search criteria based on image resolution, camera model, file size, etc. Set results to show as large thumbnails. For this purpose, you would simply use a different template.

You can, of course, also use saved searches rather than templates. I.e. save one searches that you return to when searching for mail messages. Save a different search that you will reuse when searching for photos.

The difference being that you can open your mail search only once. While searching for one mail message, you cannot start a second search for mail message without saving a copy of you mail search.

When you close your mail search, HoudahSpot will ask if you want to save changes. Save changes and you can later resume where you left off. Should you want to go into a different direction tomorrow, you will, however, have to deconstruct changes - clear criteria and filters - that you made today.

The question is if you think you will more often have to deconstruct settings you have no use for or repeatedly setting up similar searches. This certainly is a matter of personal preference. Start with a clean slate or where you left off.

0 0