Clicky

tway
Sometimes I will do a search and not save it but a short time later I realize I want to find the item again. But if I haven't saved it, Houdahspot doesn't appear to remember the recent searches under the File > Open Recent menu item. Maybe it's a simple setting I overlooked.

Is there a way to enable the Open Recent menu so that Houdahspot remembers the most recent searches WITHOUT saving every search?
0 0
houdah
The Open Recent menu lists only files. Thus it requires you to save a search to a file for it to appear here.
HoudahSpot does not keep a history of recently closed windows.

Saving recent searches is a close to impossible task as definitions and perceptions as to what constitutes a recent search differ greatly.

Say you search "Houdah". Then add "file extension" "doc". The replace "Houdah" with "Apple".
Did you search for "Houdah", get too many hits and then refine to get only Word files. Later you searched for Apple. You recent searches were: "Houdah Word files" and "Apple Word files".

Or did you search for "Houdah" and later decide to reuse that same window to search for "Apple Word files"?
Or did you search for "Apple Word files" and in a first instance were confused and typed "Houdah" instead.

As you can see, much of the problems of defining what a recent search is comes from reusing and morphing previous searches to fit a new news. Where did the old search end and the reuse begin?
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
tway
OK, I partially understand the problem.

But let's say I manually "save" every search I do, that data is saved somewhere and I can access it again and do that search again. Why couldn't that be the same as automatically saving the data and putting that search into Open Recent? And limit it to the last five or ten searches? Or at least have an OPTION in preferences to automatically save the last search (or a set number of searches) and have it prompt the user to save the search each time with a name. 

BTW, thanks for the quick response - I have been using Houdahspot for years and love it.
0 0
houdah
The problem is to decide when to save. HoudahSpot could save with each change you make to the search. You would then burn through 5 such auto-saves in a matter of minutes.

One idea would be to save as you close the window. That, however, would not help those users who reuse the same window for many different searches. Only their last search would be saved.

Basically HoudahSpot needs some smarts to recognize what constitutes refining one search and what amounts to changes that repurpose the window.

BTW, I am glad you wrote in. I hardly ever hear from customers who save searches. It appears most prefer using templates over saved searches.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
tway
I would be okay with using up to five "recent" search refinements in a minute. Just keep those last five in the Open Recent menu. And for those people who don't like changing the way they do things now, just make autosaving refinements an option in Prefs.

I have a Main template that searches the key hard disks I mount on startup and also any I add later. I use it over and over as my default. I guess I'm not like other users in that I usually make only a few refinements and the LAST search I do before closing the window is usually the one I may want to go back to, usually a few minutes later or, at  least, later the same day. I do save a few searches that come up again and again but often I don't want to go through the hassle of accumulating too many saved searches and have to "search" through the Saved searches. 

Anyway, thanks for listening!
0 0