Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
levelbest

I am using MailSmith for my email client. I have a template search in HoudahSpot to track various projects' email threads. I can save and find the threads with HoudahSpot using "Kind is Mail Message" and "Any text contains (message address line)".

My system is set to the default email client as "MailMate".

When I open such a file in HoudahSpot, HoudahSpot always opens in the file with the Apple Mail application. Shouldn't there be a way in HoudahSpot preferences to specify applications to open files with, i.e. "Open With ..."?
gilby

Is MailSmith the same as MailMate (you refer to both)?  I thought they are different products.  Which are you using?

You say 'My system is set to the default email client as "MailMate"'.  Where have you specified this?  In MailMate?  Or, in Mail?  My understanding is that you have to set the default mail app in Apple Mail - see, for example, http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/06/change-default-mail-app-mac

"Open With" does work (right click or control-click) from HS, and allows you to choose either Mail, MailMate or whatever.  

I doubt it is the role of HS to specify the default application to use for each file type, rather HS works with the operating system - uses the system wide defaults whilst allowing you to choose others via the "Open With" mechanism.

levelbest

Sorry, MailMate, not MailSmith, my Typo. I am referring to MailMate only here.

When I say "Opens With" what I mean is double clicking on an item in the found set in a HoudahSpot list. I am not talking about right clicking and choosing "opens with" literally.

I just opened (Apple) Mail to check and yes, Mail is set to default opens with MailMate.

MailMate is also set to default opens with MailMate.

Now If only my HoudahSpot app would get the message.

Post Script: I tested this using Leap, a competing product to HoudahSpot. Double clicking on an email message in Leap also opens Mail as the default email app. Perhaps this is not a HoudahSpot problem after all but it is a system default mail app setting problem.

I am searching for a way to use Terminal to ensure there is a complete transition to the default MailMate and Mail default app settings in my system. I have not found this information yet. 

I have created a KeyboardMaestro work-around for this just now in HoudahSpot.

Post Script #2: I still have not found a Terminal tip to set the Mac default mail app to opens with MailMate. I did test a solution that seems to work so far. I took a single message in HoudahSpot, opened its parent folder, did Get Info on a mail message. Then I changed the files "Open With" from Mail to MailMate. Then, I selected Chang All files that are the same as this one. I am hoping that I didn’t screw up my Mail formatting somehow in doing that but, probably it will be OK. Now opening an email message in the HoudahSpot found set opens the message with MailMate as the default app.

Weird that setting default app in both Mail and in Mailmate did not work though.
gilby

Great that you have found a solution - using the Change All in file info.

Most likely you could have fixed it by a rebuild of the Launch Service database with a Terminal command like this: 

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

It is while since I have used it, so do google for whether this is still the correct command.

houdah

Hi

HoudahSpot uses the system-wide settings for opening files. You can set this in Finder:

- right-click a .eml file in HoudahSpot
- from the context menu open Info in Finder

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
houdah

The default email client setting in Mail determines which application is used to compose new messages

levelbest

It should, but in this case, it didn't. Mail and Mailmate were both set to using MailMate as the default email reader and composer. 
gilby

This is a macOS issue with your Mac, not one with HoudahSpot.  

Read the Overview here https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coreservices/launch_services regarding Launch Services.  It even uses the example of an app wanting to open an email.

Opening a document with the wrong app is usually a sign that the LaunchServices database is tangled and needs resetting.
houdah

When double-clicking a file, the system does not care if the file represents a mail message or any other kind of document. It looks at the file type (extension) and checks which application you have set to use for that file type. In this case you are looking at either .eml or .emlx files. You need to tell macOS that you want these to be opened using MailMate.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.