Clicky

stevevance
Issue:
HoudahGeo writes EXIF tags to the wrong photo files.

Story:
I upgraded to Aperture 3 yesterday.
I attempted to use Aperture 3's "Places" feature which is slightly better than iPhoto's place features. It is still *inferior* to HoudahGeo - so your money is still well-spent!

I open HoudahGeo (HG) to apply my GPS tracks to some photos and to select a location for the photos without a place in the GPS track.

I like to use the iLife Media Browser (IMB) to grab photos from my Aperture library.

I find the album in the IMB and drag all the photos from the preview area in IMB to the file list in HG. I geocode the photos like normal - there is no trouble here.

Now I'm going to export the information to the EXIF part of the photo files (Export>Write EXIF Tags...). I ensured that "Tag masters/originals" was checked and that "Create copies" and "Always write XMP sidecar" were both unchecked. I clicked okay and waited several minutes for HG to finish writing the data.

After HG completed writing the data, I opened Aperture 3, found the album and then selected all the photos in the album and ran the function, Metadata>Update From Masters.

Here's where I notice the problem: None of the files have location information that Aperture will recognize!

I go back to HG and in the file list I right-click one of the geocoded photos that Aperture should have recognized and select "Reveal in Finder." The Finder appears and reveals the selected image. 

However, the selected image is in an Aperture "Previews" folder. I open the file in Preview.app and verify that it indeed has been geocoded. 

That means HG wrote the correct EXIF to the *wrong* file! As I mentioned, the only change I made to this process is upgrading Aperture from version 2 to version 3.

So I can't upload any photos because I'm stuck here!
Does anyone have any suggestions?
0 0
n4khq
Same problem except switching from iPhoto to aperture 3. How can we get HG to to tag correct pictures?
0 0
stevevance
My guess is that Aperture 3 changed the way iLife Media Browser presents photos to other applications. HG just needs to be updated to accept the different file.

I haven't tried Aperture's GPS track import function, but I don't really want to because I like the HG interface and process.
0 0
n4khq
You have to place the first photo in the correct location on the track for reference and Aperture 3 will place the remaining photos. Jobs is being kind to HG
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for reporting this issue. I had yet noticed it myself. It appears that Aperture 3 stores masters in a different location. It seems to me this applies only to images imported after the upgrade.

I will see to add support for Aperture 3 in the near future.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
stevevance
Thank you for the response, Pierre. I look forward to the fix.
0 0
n4khq
Thanks Pierre, I had the exact same problem on a photo I uploaded for the camera to Aperture 3. Aperture 3 was not an upgrade, I had moved photos from iPhoto to the Aperture Library but the photo I tried had never been in iPhoto.

I am sticking with iPhoto until the Fix is posted.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

What I meant to say was, that the issue only affects images imported by Aperture 3. Images that had been imported into the library prior to the upgrade appear to work as before.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
OK, I understand now. Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have just released HoudahGeo 2.4.3. It should bring full compatibility with Aperture 3.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
platti
Hi,

I use the newest version of HoudahGeo, but it doesn't write GPS-Data in the original file (see my settings below)
Click image for larger version - Name: HoudahGeo100218.png, Views: 16, Size: 198.10 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Are you using Aperture 3? Was it an upgrade-install from Aperture 2?
Are you telling Aperture to "Update from Master"?

Which file is revealed when you select "Reveal Master in Finder" from the Inspector?

Could you please have a look at /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for a transcript of the tagging operation? Which file is tagged?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
platti
Hi Pierre,

Maybe this should be cut to a separate Thread.
So far I don't have a problem with Aperture and HoudaGeo, but only with HoudahGeo: it doesn't write GPS data into the originalfile as it is set to as shown on my screenshot. 

0 0
dewarner
I am having the same problem not being able to view images in Aperture 3.  I tried to de-select iLife sharing and re-select, but this did not work.  I am using the most recent version of HG.  I am also unable to view Aperture 3 images in iLife and iWork applications.  

0 0
houdah
@platti

Hi!

You did not attach a screenshot. If you are not using Aperture, I would suggest you create a separate thread and post the screenshot to that thread.

How do you define "original file" if you are not using Aperture?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
@dewarner

Hi!

I hear that in Aperture it is possible to have "preview sharing" on, but have the generation of previews turned off. Thus there is nothing to share!

Please verify that your copy of Aperture does indeed create previews.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I just noticed, that HoudahGeo may HANG when used concurrently with Aperture 3. When this happens, quit Aperture 3 to revive HoudahGeo.

I am working on a fix.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
AgingKeeper
I just purchased HoudahGeo (HG) to use its KML export features and just upgraded to Aperture 3. I have been scratching my head for awhile trying to figure out why Aperture was not showing that the location of the photos I had tagged using HG.  Luckily I found this thread and finally had some success.  

I was having the same problem described earlier in this thread. I was simply selecting photos from within Aperture and then dragged them to the HG gui and dropping them to be loaded into the active project.  I would then geocode them and export to EXIF, execute the Update Masters command, only to find the location was not being written to the masters.  

After reading this thread I used the Reveal in Finder trick and found that HG thought the photos were in the in the previews folder buried in the aperture library.  

So I started over this time, using the finder interface to select the files.  After exporting and using the Update Masters command in Aperture everything worked perfectly. 

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Dragging the files over from Aperture 3 into HoudahGeo should work with version 2.4.4. HoudahGeo should then be able to find the master files.

The condition for this to work is to have Aperture library pre-loading enabled and working. I.e. you need to get Aperture to generate and share previews.

If preview sharing is not working you will need to drag the master images from the Finder to HoudahGeo in order to tag them. For Google Earth, Flickr or Locr export, I would obviously recommend using the previews/versions rather than the masters.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
dewarner
Preview sharing and preview generation in Aperture 3 are both on for me.  I have verified thru the Aperture 3 forum in Apple Discussions that Aperture not being able to connect with iLife or iWork programs is a common problem.

I guess I have to wait for Apple to provide a fix.

Thanks -
0 0