Clicky

firstname1
Hi,

I can't disable the standard Spotlight menubar from HoudahSpot 2.3.3 (2020). Furthermore, when I go to:

1) HoudahSpot --> Preferences... --> Advanced , it shows a button labeled:

"Enable standard Spotlight Menu"

...even though it _is_ already enabled on my laptop (MacBookPro5,1 OS X10.5.6)

2) If I then click on "Enable standard Spotlight Menu", I get this error:

"Failed to access Spotlight menu service configuration" <OK>

Thing's I've tried:

I've quit HoudahSpot.app and using Activity Monitor.app also quit: "HoudahSpotHelper.app"
Then I've deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.houdah.HoudahSpot.plist
Then I've re-run HoudahSpot.app, which successfully recreates com.houdah.HoudahSpot.plist

But the behaviour in (1) and (2) is unchanged.

Versions Tried:

Product: HoudahSpot 2.0 --> updated to v2.3.2 (2011), and then to v2.3.3 (2020) --> behaviour unchanged as per above.
Click image for larger version - Name: HoudahSpot1.jpg, Views: 9, Size: 19.91 KB Click image for larger version - Name: HoudahSpot2.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 49.75 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The message means that HoudahSpot failed to read the following file: /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.Spotlight.plist
Either the file is missing or you don't have the rights to read it.

In order to get to that file, HoudahSpot also needs access to /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy

Best,
Pierre Bernard

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
firstname1
Thank you for the speedy response. I will search to confirm that these files exist and have appropriate permissions.
0 0
rei
hi there,

so how do i fix this? new houdaspot 2.4.2060 (thanks to a generous upgrade policy on a maczot license from 2006 i never used until now) user and i get that 'failed to access spotlight configuration' immediately after going to hs preferences.

thanks.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

The message means that HoudahSpot failed to read the following file: /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.Spotlight.plist
Either the file is missing or you don't have the rights to read it.

In order to get to that file, HoudahSpot also needs access to /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy

Please check permissions on both files.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
rei
thanks for the reply. sorry to be dense but i don't know how to 'check the permission' or what they should be set to after i check them. do you have any specific steps on how?

what should the permissions be set to?

reinstalling fresh wiped 10.5.5 leopard also yields this error with hs as the first app installed.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You may use the Finder's "Get Info" window. You should find that "Everyone" has read permissions to the LaunchAgent file as well as to PListBuddy. PListBuddy should be billed as Unix executable.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
rei
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. The first file has necessary Read permissions and I couldn't see what the permissions on PlistBuddy where via the terminal so I just set it to 755 using chmod. HoudahSpot is still causing that error when its Preferences option is run.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or how to get it working. I'm not sure why the same problem would appear on a "clean" install too.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

It is obviously not my intention to require developer tools. I had actually checked other Leopard systems to verify the presence of PlistBuddy.

Seeing that it is missing from a freshly installed system, my guess is that it has been installed by another commonly used application.

I will see to fix the situation with the next update.

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
rei
Sorry, I wrote up an earlier post where I thought PlistBuddy was not installed by default but I believe that it IS included with Leopard (but not earlier Tiger) -- that's why I erased/edited the post I made about installing Xcode. Finding it via Terminal, I did try the chmod 755 to elevate its permissions but that did not seem to change anything.

The best thing I could do to assist you in troubleshooting this issue and eliminate my own foolishness or other installed programs was to wipe my HD with the Leopard DVD "erase-and-install" and then proceed to install HS as the first app after the "welcome to leopard" wizard finished.

That's why I found it strange the error happened again.

Hope this helps you figure the problem out and that the error is not my fault! Best of luck.

0 0
firstname1
Hi,

I've confirmed that I have the required files and that they are readable to 'other', and in the case of PlistBuddy and Spotlight.app, executable. But I still get this message: [B]Failed to access Spotlight menu service configuration[/B]

Details:
[CODE]
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 84400 24 Sep 18:21 /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 31 Dec 15:06 /System/Library/CoreServices/Spotlight.app
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 478 8 Aug 02:53 /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.Spotlight.plist
[/CODE]
Am running HoudahSpot Version 2.4 (2060) under OS X 10.5.6/MacBookPro 2.8 GHz/4GB

...b

0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot runs the following command:

[CODE]/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print Disabled" /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.Spotlight.plist
[/CODE]

This should return either:

[CODE]Print: Entry, "Disabled", Does Not Exist
[/CODE]
or:

[CODE]true
[/CODE]

The error message you are seeing means that the above command has failed.

I'd be interested in hearing what output you get. I wonder if there are differing versions of PlistBuddy around.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
firstname1
HI,

Just wanted to report that I updated from HoudahSpot Version 2.4 (2060) to the newly released: Version 2.4.1 (2091). My problems are solved! I can now use HoudahSpot to disable the standard Spotlight menu. It asks me to logout and then log back in, and voilà, the standard Spotlight menu is disabled.

Thank you!

...bt

PS. Am running OS X 10.5.6/MacBookPro 2.8 GHz/4GB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Just for the record: as of HoudahSpot 2.4.1, I ship PlistBuddy with the HoudahSpot application. Thus I can be sure it is present on the system.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
rei
thanks. it works!
0 0
firstname1
> Just for the record: as of HoudahSpot 2.4.1,
> I ship PlistBuddy with the HoudahSpot application.
> Thus I can be sure it is present on the system.

hmm. That might explain the issue with disabling the Spotlight Menu for someone else on this thread. In my case though, I already had PlistBuddy on my system, readable and executable to all, as per my Jan 11th posting:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 84400 24 Sep 18:21 /usr/libexecPlistBuddy

...[B]before[/B] I updated to HoudahSpot to v2.4.1. And yet updating to v2.4.1 solved my problem with disabling the Spotlight Menu. Regardless of the reason, I'm very happy with the operation of HoudahSpot now. Keep up the good work!

...bt
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am aware of that. That's actually what motivated me to bundle PlistBuddy. Indeed I think there are various incompatible versions of PlistBuddy out there.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
shukapaw
Ok,

I just got HoudahSpot and am trying to find the file "/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy". I've navigated to the folder "libexec" and there is no PlistBuddy there. I just downloaded the app and a previous post indicates this comes with the app. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Brian Click image for larger version - Name: libexec.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 34.64 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Recent versions of HoudahSpot ship with PListBuddy. HoudahSpot no longer needs the copy in libexec.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
shukapaw
Attached are the message windows I get when trying to add to the finder toolbar and when trying to disable spotlight

Brian Click image for larger version - Name: HoudahSpot-1.jpg, Views: 4, Size: 13.78 KB Click image for larger version - Name: HoudahSpot.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 13.13 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You have uncovered a bug. Even though HoudahSpot ships with PListBuddy, there were still pieces of code that expect PListBuddy to be available in the standard location.

This will be fixed by the next update.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0