Clicky

Jono
I've noticed a problem when importing photos edited with HoudahGeo to the OS X Photos app.

I added locations and changed the timestamp of some photos.

When I add them to Photos app on OS X it doesn't show the updated timestamp or location.

If I go to the iOS Dropbox app, find the photo and save it to the iOS Photo Library it correctly shows the updated timestamp and location (and is synced back to Photos app on O SX).

Is it just me having this problem, or is anyone else experiencing it? (Just to be clear I'm saying it looks like a problem with OS X Photos app, not HoudahGeo)
I'm new to HoudahGeo so maybe it's me doing something wrong?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I just tagged a .CR2 file and imported it into Photos. Photos did pick up timestamp and geotags.

Things to check:

- Enable Timestamp writing during EXIF/XMP export. It is off by default

- If you have HoudahGeo "Create copies" during EXIF/XMP export, use the the new files with Photos

- Check for XMP sidecar files. If XMP sidecar files are present next to your image files, HoudahGeo will update those and leave the image files untouched.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Jono
Hi,

Here are my settings

HoudahGeo export settings.png 

As you'll see I have everything checked under 'Write', I don't create copies, and I don't have anything checked for XMP sidecars (I don't even know what that is).

I've just done a test with a new photo and tried it with the Photos app on two different computers, and still get the same results (it shows the location in Photos app, but doesn't show the updated timestamp).
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Can you email me a sample image file?
What was the original timestamp? What is the corrected value?

XMP sidecars are file with the .xmp file extension. There purpose is to store metadata where the original image file format does not allow for metadata or where you don't want the original files to be modified. These are placed next to an image file of the same name. E.g. IMG_1.xmp applies to IMG_1.jpg in the same folder.

By default, HoudahGeo reads from and write to the XMP sidecar if one is present. You can ask HoudahGeo to "bypass XMP sidecars" on export. It will ten write to the image file itself.

You can also ask HoudahGeo to create the XMP sidecar by checking "Always write XMP sidecars".

If no .xmp files are present, your settings are correct: HoudahGeo will write coordinates and timestamp to the image file.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Jono
Here's an image I pulled from Google Images, added a New York location and changed the timestamp to 1950 (it originally had today's date)

Same as previously I added it to Dropbox, opened it up in the iOS Dropbox app and saved it to the iCloud Photo Library. The location and updated timestamp looked fine.

If I delete it and drag the photo to the Photos app on the Mac the location looks fine, but the timestamp is still today's date.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have tried 3 ways of importing the image into Photos: Import menu, drop on Dock icon and Import menu after enabling the option to copy the image into the library.

In all cases, Photos 1.0.1 (215.65.0) shows a date og Jan 1, 1950
Screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2381634/HoudahGeo/Screenshot%202015-07-02%2022.16.31.png

Are you using the same version?
Could there be an option where you have Photos show the time of import rather than the photo timestamp?

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Jono
Strange, I'm using the same version as you.

"Could there be an option where you have Photos show the time of import rather than the photo timestamp?"

No, I can't see anything like that.

But as I said previously, this looks like a problem with Photos app, not HoudahGeo. I'll import through Dropbox/iOS until it's (hopefully) fixed [smile]
0 0