Clicky

wes
I was attempting to merge all the GPX files into one big track, because merging multiple GPX files into one GPX file would still yield multiple track segments within the file. So my idea was to convert it to a single NMEA sentences file.

The problem is, HoudahGeo (currently using 2.2.4) won't see the timestamps in the file, telling me that the file is of no use. I opened the converted file and saw that the timestamps, both date and time, are clearly there, but somehow, HoudahGeo is missing them.

As a possible workaround, I converted the GPX file to a CSV file using GPSBabel, and lo, it worked. HoudahGeo reads the CSV file properly.

Did something happen to NMEA file parser? Is this GPSBabel's fault or HoudahGeo's? I think this should be looked into.

By the way, why did I try to merge the individual log files into one track? So that HoudahGeo would extrapolate the coordinates for the photos that were taken while the logging was turned off, usually when I was inside the building, to save power. If there was an option in HoudahGeo to do this without the need for me to merge the logs, it would be great, of course.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

When reading NMEA files, HoudahGeo uses GPSBabel to convert them to GPX first. If you perform the conversion manually, you will be able to see the file exactly as HoudahGeo does.

When you select "Geocode from Tracks & Waypoints" from the "Geocode" menu, you will be shown the options applying to automatic geocoding. For your purposes, you may want to increase the "Merging limit".

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
wes
So if I understand correctly, what basically happens is that, if I do manual conversion, it's GPX -> NMEA -> GPX, and the process is taken care of by GPSBabel. So in that regard, GPSBabel may be at fault for not being able to properly read its own converted file?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Yes, indeed.

So far I have not seen any such problems with GPSBabel. GPX <-> NMEA conversion should be lossless. A roundtrip through KML however will lose time information.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
wes
[QUOTE=houdah]When you select "Geocode from Tracks & Waypoints" from the "Geocode" menu, you will be shown the options applying to automatic geocoding. For your purposes, you may want to increase the "Merging limit".[/QUOTE]
I recently tried this. I set the merging limit to 1440 minutes (1 full day) instead of default 30 minutes. However, HoudahGeo does not seem to be able to actually merge two tracks. All the tracks I uploaded are less than a day apart, yet none of the photos that fall between the gaps of two tracks are not automatically geocoded. If I increase gobbing limit to 1440 minutes, all the photos get geotagged, but the ones that fall between the gaps get tagged weird coordinates.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Could you please email me 2 tracks as well as one image which falls between those two tracks?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0