Clicky

spandrel
For me, any search process needs to enable me to rename the files I find. So, if I search by content, and come up with (among other things), various old downloaded PDF articles with nonsense numeric filenames, I use quicklook to glimpse each document, and immediately wish to give it an appropriately meaningful name. (Often, of course, I also want to copy or move it.)

Renaming a file is lightning-fast in Leap (which for some reason hasn't won my allegiance, despite being powerful), and in Spotlight results when they display in the Finder. In Houdah, I can use QuickLook to see what the identity of the document is, but then I find no quick way to do what I next want to d with that informatio.

Rename functionality seems not to be mentioned in Houdah documentation. Surely I'm not the only one who would benefit from it? While we're at it, I'd love to be able to move the selected item to one of my frequent destinations via keystrokes rather than drag-drop.

(I know I can open a *selected* document in Path Finder (etc) and proceed from there -- but if Houdah doesn't itself let me perform basic commands on my files, I'd want at least to be able to get my whole results list to show up in a file manager so that I can engage in systematic rename/move housecleaning without switching between apps...)

Any thoughts? Wouldn't at least the rename feature be easy to add?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback.

A renaming feature has been repeatedly considered, but has yet to come to fruition.
Meanwhile you may have a look at this [URL=http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080125092517195]MacOSXHints tip[/URL].

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
spandrel
Thanks, Houdah.

The Excel trick would work for rename or move functions that are easy to batch-automate with some algorithm (and I already use A Better Finder Rename to impose such data-absorbing titles on my jpg photos -- a real nuissance-saver!)... But exactly what I want a one-stop-search-and-manage-files app for is to integrate with QuickLook for a file-by-file peek-decide-name process, and Excel wouldn't help here. (Maddeningly, no candidate components for naming PDF articles (author, title, year, journal) are standardly embedded in any way in metadata  -- and for older articles, we may only have a raw image to work with.)

I'm very impressed with the responsiveness and feature set of HoudaSpot. I hope you'll be able to add this one function to make for a more well-rounded application!

(Minor suggestion: the QuickLook / Preview button at upper right might more happily function as a toggle, just like the space bar. If one's hanging out with the mouse, it should be possible to close the preview without mousing across to the other side of the screen.)

Cheers,

0 0
houdah
Thanks for the feedback.

I should spend some more time with my ideas of file renaming.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0