Clicky

Drdul
Is there a way to auto-refresh search results? The reason I ask is that I am encountering a situation where files disappear from HoudahSpot search results, and the only way I can get the files to reappear is to press the red "Stop Query" button, and then click the button again, which at this point has become a green "Start Query" button.

This occurs with a search template I've created that lists all files opened within the last 24 hours, sorted by "last opened" date. I have set the query to run automatically when the template is opened. The problem occurs when i open one of the files in the list. The moment I open it, it disappears from the list, and remains missing even after I close the file. After stopping and restarting the query, the file reappears at the top of the list.

I often leave this search template open as I'm working, so that I can easily access files I've recently worked on. Having to manually stop and restart the query over and over again is tedious. Is there a way to have HoudahSpot automatically refresh the file list? In case it matters, i have the "show results immediately" box checked in prefs.

Thanks!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You found an interesting edge case.

Thing is that HoudahSpot updates are live: they auto-update.

Your query is for files opened in the past 24 hours. That time frame is defined at the moment you start your query. When you later open the file, it gets a new date which as far as the query is concerned is not in that 24 hour window. It is in the future.

I really wonder what a good solution would be.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Drdul
Thanks for the explanation. As I understand it, HoudahSpot auto-updates, but the time period doesn't. My suggestion for a solution would be to also auto-update the time period in cases where a search criteria is used that specifies an amount of time as "the last xxx."

As an example of how this would work, say I launched my 24-hour search at precisely 1:00. The initial time period for the search would therefore be from 1:00:00 the previous day to 1:00:00 on the current day. Five seconds later, HoudahSpot would automatically update the time period to begin and end at 1:00:05, and would then update the search results to add any files opened in the last five seconds, plus remove any files last opened between 1:00:00 and 1:00:05 the previous day. Five seconds later, the process would repeat.

I hope my solution works, or that it's possible to find another solution. I really like using HoudahSpot to keep track of files opened in the last 24 hours, but only if I don't have to keep stopping and restarting the search.

Cheers!
0 0
mf
I have encountered this problem many times and would very much welcome a solution too!

What about adding an 'time' function to the 'Last opened' search? That way you could search for "Changed after 03/02/2009 08.00" (where "08.00 was the time an hour ago"). Any file in the list you then opened again would still have been opened after the set search time.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Drdul: I cannot modify a running search. For that it needs to be restarted. That will be basically the same as you hitting Stop then Start. If HoudahSpot were to do so every couple of seconds, it would tie up your machine for not much good.

One solution would be to do so only when a file vanishes from the list. But it still seems heavy-handed.

The real catch is that when you ask HoudahSpot for files opened in the past hour, it will search for dates no older than an hour ago but no newer than current date. It is the second criterion that prevents newer files from making the list.

One would think that there are no files newer than the current date, yet there always are some stray files which got their date set incorrectly to some date way in the future. These may be seen as polluting the list.

Now I wonder what the biggest trade-off is: having stray files or missing newer files.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Drdul
Hi Pierre:

Thanks for the additional explanation. Is it possible to remove the second criterion, the one that sets the current date/time? Or at the very least, have this an an option in prefs? Given the choice, I would much rather have a stray file or two show up in my search results than be missing files that I open after the search begins.

FWIW, I have limited my 24-hour search to documents and images, and have specifically excluded system-type files. I just did a quick search of my computer, and didn't find any such files with a time/date in the future, so in my case (at this point at least), I wouldn't have any stray files in the search results. If I did at some point, I would actually welcome seeing them there, because I could then rest the time/date on the files.

Cheers!
0 0
Drdul
Hi Pierre:

I had another thought. Is there a way to enter a search criterion of "today," which would represent the current date whenever the search is launched? The reason i am using 24 hours is because I couldn't figure out how to use "today" in a manner similar to the "Today" Spotlight search that comes with OS X. When I run the OS X search, any files I open remain in the search results — they just move up to the top of the list. If I still wanted to use 24 hours, i could add the "today" criterion within an "ANY of the following are true" group.

Cheers!
0 0
mf
Pierre,

Drdul wanted a way of searching for all files opened within the last 24 hours which would retain the found results even after he had opened any of them.

Surely the simple answer is not to use an "opened within" search but to use an "opened after" search and set the date to yesterday's date. This list of results does not change when you open individual results.

The only problem is it is not precise enough. It can give you files opened after yesterday but not, say, files opened in the last 12 hours, or 1 hour.

My suggestion above was whether it would be possible to add an "hours" function to the "opened after" search. If so, you could insert today's date and the time an hour ago (eg find files opened after 4/7/09, [U]10:00[/U]". That would provide a list of all files opened in the last hour which would not be affected by opening individual files from the list.

Wouldn't that do the trick?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Suggestion taken. I will add a "today" value to operate exactly as the one in the Finder.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
mf
Thanks Pierre - would that mean we'd have a "last opened: today" option? If so, would that go beyond what we already have in "last opened after: yesterday"?

Is this one of those circumstances where HS is limited to what Spotlight can do, and the problem is that Spotlight doesn't have a "last opened after [date] [U]& [time][/U]" function?
0 0
Drdul
Thanks, Pierre. Adding a "Today" function will solve the problem for me.

Cheers!
0 0