Clicky

n4khq
Using 2.2.5 with OS 10.5.7. Reverse coding finds the city fine but when I write to iPhoto, the lat/lon is written but places does not have the city. The first time I tried it, I only checked Tag/master orginals. I tried checking XML sidecar but neither worked. I have searched the forum but can't find what I am doing wrong.

Thanks
0 0
n4khq
Just an update, if I write the data to iPhoto library, the city is shown if I click the i on the event but after looking for the picture in places to no avail, The words Event place replaces the city. Why is iPhoto eating my places info?

Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

For this feature to work, you need to select "Tag/master originals". HoudahGeo will then offer to update the iPhoto database. Don't check the XML sidecar option.

I am currently investing a couple of issues with the iPhoto database update. For now, you may actually get better results by not letting HoudahGeo update the iPhoto database. Then, in iPhoto, select "Rescan fo Location" from the contextual menu.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
n4khq
Thanks for the tip on Rescan for locations, If I don't let HoudahGeo update iPhoto database, How do I get the Lat/Lon into iPhoto so it can rescan for locations? Would it work to not use Reverse GeoCoding and let HoudahGeo write to iPhoto database and then rescan for locations?

Some more information on what I am seeing, if I write to the iPhoto database with only Tag/master originals checked, the city shows when you click i for individuals pictures, but if you click the i for the event, it does not show. You can see you pictures in places if you select all and the city shows for single photos. If you select United States the only other item in the list, the picture does not show. It appears to me that iPhoto only get the City and not the Country or State.

Personally if I can load the lat/lon to the iPhoto database and rescan, that is a better solution for me than reverse lookup.

Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

"Rescan for Location" replaces the iPhoto database update feature. You only need to have HoudahGeo tag the original images. When iPhoto rescans for location, it will read the latitude/longitude coordinates from EXIF and copy the information over into the iPhoto database.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
I took new pictures and .gpx track. I did not use reverse geocoding and wrote the information to the iphone database. iPhoto show the location on the map but when I rescan locations iPhoto does not know where the photos were taken by city, state or country. If I say find on map the pin is in the correct place but I have to do it one at a time and If I type a name, iPhoto move the pin
0 0
n4khq
It appears to me that rescan location in I photo it broke. I have tried many times and many different combinations to get rescan to enter the county or city, state, and county using lat/lon uploaded by HoudahGeo. Neither can I get reverse geocode to work. Lat/Lon works great and reverse geocode seems to half work but it is very inconsistent and seems to disappear.

Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

"Rescan for location" is not meant to pick up the reverse geocoding information provided by HoudahGeo. It will read only latitude and longitude.

iPhoto performs its own reverse geocoding.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
n4khq
I can get rescan to work either way. If I upload Lat/Lon with out reverse code and rescan, nothing appears in places, If I upload Lat/Lon after using reverse coding, I still can't make it work, sometimes I see a little information entered in places but then it disappears.

0 0
n4khq
I think I may have discovered the problem with places in iPhots. Places has the following fields for the US
State
County
City
Special places like National Parks
find on Map Places you enter or special places enter which is associated with a circle.
An example of what will show when you hit option command i in iPhoto is
Places: Great Smokey Mountains
National Park
Bryson City
Swain
North Carolina
I think if you allow iPhoto to automatically scan for location and the coordinates are within the circle if a place you have used to find on the map the coordinates will be changed to match that location center point.

I think this is what has been driving me crazy.
0 0
n4khq
I am not sure how the above post relates to HoudahGeo. I started taking pictures with my iPhone and camera for comparison and noticed I was having the same problem with the iPhone as HoudahGeo. I found in iPhoto a window called Manage My Places and found a place I had expanded to almost 1/2 the state. Not all the time but part of the time iPhoto would select that place and change the coordinates.

Something else of interest, You can define multiple places with the same name all having different coordinates. If you start typing a city and you have defined 3 locations in that city with the city name you will see the city pop up 4 times. 1 for the city and 3 for the three location you defined as the city. If you select one of the four, your coordinates are changed to the one you selected. If you are like me, you need to delete most of the places you have defined in manage my places under the windows menu.
0 0
n4khq
I guess I am doing something totally wrong, but I can't get rescan locations in iPhoto to recognize the coordinates entered using HoudahGeo. Rescan Locations appears to do nothing but iPhoto will show the coordinates and pin the location.

If I use reverse geocoding, I get very mixed results for example. I reversed geocoded using google and checked the tag master/originals box with everything checked it the lower boxes. iPhoto shows, places: city, USA and will show the photo in places if All is selected but if you select United States, places will not show the photos. I think the problem is HoudahGeo is only writting in one field. Personally I only need one of the two options to work rescan locations or reverse geocode but I can't get either to work.

Thanks
0 0
n4khq
More information on places. I took 4 pictures in 4 different locations. I use houdahgeo to tag lat/lon only. I rescan the locations in iPhoto but IPhoto did not pickup anything in places, I did the rescan several times but I did not restart iPhoto. Next I used HoudahGeo to reverse geocode and uploaded again. Places had Dahlonega; USA in one field but did not know the places were even in the US. I took pictures at the same place with my iPhone and when I upload the pictures to iPhoto, Places were messed up and I noticed some of them said Dahlonega; USA. I looked under manage my places in iPhoto and saw that the reverse geocode upload had added a place for each photo. I deleted the places and went to the iPhone pictures and rescanned but did not see the places being corrected. I closed iPhoto and reopened without rescanning the iPhone pictures were labeled correctly and the camera pictures were correct.

I am going to take some more pictures and close iPhoto after uploading the lat/lon. Hopefully when I reopen the places fields will be correct.
0 0
n4khq
When you Tag master/originals with houdahgeo in iPhoto database, you will find empty record in manage my places for each unique lat/lon pair (maybe unique within a certain range) If you remove the empty fields. Rescan will find the places and fill the places fields. If you reverse geocode before uploading, the field will not be empty but places will not function correctly until the field is deleted.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am working on updating the "iPhoto database update" feature. I hope to release HoudahGeo 2.2.6 within the week.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
n4khq
Version 2.2.6 is working great with iPhoto rescan. Work flow is great. I download my photos to using iPhoto, I drag photos into HoudahGeo, and open the track log gpx file. I Tag master/originals. I open iPhoto, select all photos I just tagged and right click to select rescan location. This gives me a consistent names for places pulled from iPhoto. For my situtation, I have no need for reverse geocoding but I know that may not be true for everyone.

It is important to understand iPhoto's Find on Map feature. Let me give you an example. Lets suppose we go to a state park that is not in the iphoto library of places. Currently you can search for all cities but only the larger national parks, I never found a state park but only searched GA. After you geotag with HoudahGeo, upload EXIF and rescan locations in iphoto, places will have closest, city, county, state, and country. Lets say you want to add the name of the park which is a very bad ideal. Description, title, key works is a much better place to add the park name. If you use find on map to try and name the photo as a batch, you will have one waypoint for all the photos with a circle the size of the park. In you find on the map one at a time, and you have 20 photos, you will have 20 entries in my places with the same name.
0 0