Clicky

tvainio
I just bought the software and I really like.   All my pictures are already geocoded but reverse geocoding is why I got it.  I've one problem with these different services (geonames/cloudmade/bing) and how they work.  None of them is perfect or give the best result I'd like to have.  

Example I've a picture from Times Square, New York, NY, USA.  Bing tells it's picture from New York, NY, USA which is correct but Geonames gives better result when giving Times Square, New York, USA.  Geonames accuracy and knowledge of sub area is awesome but I don't wanna loose name of the city .   So what I'd really like to achieve is 
Location = Times Square
City = New York City
State = New York or NY
Country = USA
0 0
tvainio
I've found clumsy and ot so elegant way to do this.  

1) Run reverse geocoding process against geonames
2) Manually copy location data to right places
exiftool -P -overwrite_original "-IPTC:Sub-Location<IPTC:City" *
 exiftool -P -overwrite_original "-XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedSubLocation<XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedCity"
3) Run reverse geo again using different service
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Unfortunately HoudahGeo does not yet support the setting of sub-location.
Moreover the quality and style of results provided by the various services varies by region. A same service may provide sub-location info for one country but not for another.

I hope to be able to provide a better solution for reverse geocoding in the future.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
tvainio
Hi,

Some time has gone and I'd like to ask if there is any hope that this feature is any closer to day.  Currently Apple Core Location probably offers same kind of information through sub locality or areasofinterest.  

There is already some advanced features available but it would be nice to choose that information in for eg. in City field could be written to Caption and then after running geocoding against another service this new City field could be appended there also.  And finally from third run I could get the real city name for City field.

0 0
bonzon
I would like to add another feature request for the Reverse geocoding IPTC fields: language option.

As of today (HoudahGeo version 3.6.5) with Apple Core Location, names are returned in the language of the HoudahGeo app UI (currently either English or German). I.e. country name is "United States" when the app is in English, but "Vereinigte Staaten" when the app is in German. I would like to control the language independently of the HoudahGeo app, and use languages not supported in HoudahGeo UI (i.e. French).
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for the feedback.

I will check if Apple Core Location can be forced to use a language different from the current application's language.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0