Clicky

icen
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer so I am lost and would appreciate help as I seem to be going round in circles.

What I would like to do is to take pictures, geocode them and save them while I gather others and then draw them all together with some documents to publish on Google Earth as one KMZ file.

I have imported pictures to a desktop folder. I think I have geocoded with EXIF/XMP tags from a Wintec201 [First option in Step 3]. A new folder of pictures appeared in the original folder on the desktop. However I cannot see the coordinates/altitude data anywhere in the Information of the exported versions either in Preview, iPhoto, Photoshop Elements or the Image Viewer from Canon so I do not know if it is there or not. Is the data there somewhere?

Are my intentions achievable? I have undertaken to do this as part of a volunteer group who are making a study of the ancient County boundary of Dorset, England.

What have I missed?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for your interest in HoudahGeo.

I see two ways of achieving what you want to do:

1. You may save GPS data to your images' EXIF/XMP metadata. It will be permanently associated with the images. At a later point you may re-import the images into HoudahGeo and find GPS information is there for further processing.

2. You may save your HoudahGeo project and later re-open it to add more pictures. HoudahGeo references files by location: you may not move them around once loaded into a HoudahGeo project.

I believe you did fine proceeding with the first steps of option 1. Your GPS data should now be embedded invisibly in your images. Try importing your images in a fresh HoudahGeo project. GPS data should show up immediately without you having to load a track log.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
icen
Excellent!
Thank you for such a swift reply.
As you suggested a fresh project demonstrated to me that the data is there.
Your plans suits my purpose exactly.
Have I understood correctly to conclude that in order to edit pictures I must do it first in, say, iphoto then export them to a separate Finder folder and then work in HoudahGeo from there and never return them to iPhoto.
Is there perhaps some sort of app that I could use to gather them together store & review them?
Many thanks

0 0
houdah
Hi!

You may of course return them to iPhoto.

Actually, I recommend geotagging first and only then adding the images to iPhoto. This way iPhoto will be able to see and display GPS coordinates.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0