Clicky

laferrera
If I enter a Search Field request, HoudahSpot does not always search for that request as a "kind."  See the examples below, where "omnigraffle" in the search field yields 102 files (mostly PDF's created with Omnigraffle) if I have a blank "kind" request, but if I manually type "omnigraffle" as a "kind" or remove the "kind" request entirely, I get 274 or 275 files.

Is that a bug, or is there an explanation?  I'm using HS 4.0.6.

Thanks.

Screen_without_Kind.jpg
Screen_with_Kind.jpg      
HD2.jpg
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The explanation is that HoudahSpot skips all criteria for which you do not enter a value. This allows you to set up "search forms" with criteria that are ready to be used but have no effect on the search until they are actually used.

For example, the "Name" "contains" criterion at the top. This applies no restriction on name because no value was entered.

Leaving the "Kind" criterion blank, reduces the "Any" group to just matching "Folder", "Word Processing" and "PDF".

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
laferrera
That's what I originally thought.  But if that's true, then why do I get more hits when the "kind" requests are removed entirely (as in the third photo)?

And why doesn't the "omnigraffle" typed in the Search Field get used in the blank Kind request, in the way that it's obviously getting used in other requests?  The manual says "HoudahSpot will search for files where all the search terms entered can be found anywhere in name, content or other metadata."  Doesn't "Kind" qualify as "other metadata"?

-- Joe
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The third photo lack the "Any" group that restricted the previous search to Folders, Word Processing and XML files.

The text typed in the search field is used to match against files. You will find all files where name any metadata attribute contains "omnigraffle". This could be name, kind, author, recipient, etc. It is the broadest search possible.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0